Looking for some simple and easy Elf on the Shelf Ideas? Here are some great Dollar Tree inspired ideas that will make your Elf on the Shelf adventures easier than ever!
If you have an Elf on the Shelf visiting your family this holiday season, you know how difficult it can be to come up with fun ideas for your Elf day after day.
Coming up with silly ideas for your Elf can not only be draining, but it can also get expensive!
Luckily, there are tons of great ways Dollar Tree can help you save time and money this holiday season. These simple Dollar Tree Elf on the Shelf ideas are a great way to surprise your kids without spending a fortune.
Some of these ideas are seasonal while others can be found year round!
Elf Movie Night
Grab supplies to have a fun Christmas movie night at home from Dollar Tree, then make it look like your elf brought them back from the North Pole.
- Popcorn and candy. Head to the snack aisle to grab some movie snacks to enjoy as you watch your favorite Christmas movie.
- Popcorn containers. Then take a look in the dish aisle to grab a couple of plastic popcorn containers to give your movie night a theater feel.
Elf Size Snacks
Elves love eating snacks just as much as kids do! Grab some elf-size snacks for your Elf on the Shelf to enjoy during their visit. You should be able to find any of these items in the snack section of your Dollar Tree:
- Mini cookies, like Oreos or Chips Ahoy
- Small candy, like M&Ms or Skittles
- Mini candy canes
- Small crackers, like Goldfish
- Candy bars
A big bag of cotton balls can go a long way when it comes to cheap Elf on the Shelf ideas. Grab a bag of cotton balls at Dollar Tree to use for:
- Bubble bath. Fill a bowl with cotton balls and place the elf inside to make it look like he’s enjoying a bubble bath when the kids wake up.
- Snowball fight. Stack a pile of cotton balls next to your elf, then add a few other dolls to the scene to create a cute snowball fight between the toys.
Puzzles and Games
If your family’s elf likes to play with other toys in the house, make sure they have lots of activities to choose from during the holiday season. Take a look in the toy aisle of Dollar Tree to find some of these cute activities for your elf:
- Puzzles. Set up a partially finished puzzle near your elf to make it look like they were in the middle of putting the puzzle together.
- Tumbling Tower game. Put together the Tumbling Tower game next to your elf, the pull a piece out to make it look like your elf was getting ready to make the tower fall.
- Tic tac toe or bingo. Look for mini games, like tic tac toe or bingo, for your elf to play with other toys to set up a fun scene for your kids.
The toy aisle is a great place to find cheap props for your Elf on the Shelf during the holiday season. Browse the toys to find a few quick and easy ideas for your elf.
- Mini guitar. Grab a miniature guitar for your elf to hold while he’s sitting on the shelf.
- Miniature Zen garden. Help your elf find inner peace with the help of a miniature Zen garden from Dollar Tree.
- Tiny basketball hoop. Set up a game of basketball between your elf and Ken dolls with a tiny basketball hoop and ball from the dollar store.
- Fishing game. Let your elf go fishing on the shelf with the help of a mini fishing game and fishing pole.
- Mini cars. If you can find a car that is big enough for the elf to sit on, that might be a lot of fun!
Dollar Tree is amazing place to find tons of cheap kid’s craft supplies. And those supplies can also be used to set up adorable scenes with your elf on the shelf!
- Coloring books. Partially color in a page of a coloring book featuring your kid’s favorite character, then place a crayon in your elf’s hand.
- Letter stickers. Create a message from your elf using letter stickers and construction paper from Dollar Tree.
- Felt tree. Let your elf decorate their own Christmas tree using a felt tree from the holiday section along with stickers as ornaments.
- Beads and sting. With the help of beads and string, your elf can make your kids friendship bracelets to wear during the holiday season.
- Mini canvas with painting supplies/crayons. Many Dollar Trees carry canvases in the art section. If you can get a 4×6 sized one, you can make it look like the Elf is painting!
Head to the holiday section of your Dollar Tree to find tons of great holiday decorations to use in your Elf on the Shelf setups. These budget-friendly Christmas decorations are a simple way to add some holiday cheer to your elf’s visit.
- Mini Christmas tree. Give your Elf on the Shelf their own Christmas tree by purchasing a mini tree from the dollar store. There are some cute mini presents that you can put around the tree, too!
- Miniature ornaments. Don’t forget to grab some miniature ornaments to hang on your elf’s tree to give it some Christmas spirit.
- Christmas village. Set up a cute Christmas village for your elf with the help of Dollar Tree’s miniature village pieces.
- Mini stockings. Use a mini stocking to display your elf in a cute way during one of their visits.
More Dollar Tree Ideas:
- Easy Dollar Tree Christmas Gift for Children
- 30+ DIY Dollar Tree Christmas Decor, Crafts and More
- 30+ Dollar Tree Stocking Stuffers for All Ages (and Pets!)
- DIY Ornament Christmas Tree + More Dollar Tree Christmas Projects
- 70+ Dollar Tree DIY and Craft Ideas
- Dollar Tree Gift Basket Ideas for less than $10
More Christmas Ideas:
- DIY Christmas Nativity Ornaments with Free Cut Files
- The Best Christmas Eve Traditions for Families
- 20+ Festive Cricut Christmas Shirt Ideas
- 14 Ways to Keep Christ in Christmas with Children
Katie is a Colorado-native, BYU graduated, and most importantly, wife to one and mother to three beautiful boys. She is passionate about sharing her experiences with others – especially about pregnancy, breastfeeding, cooking, and crafts. She is an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. She loves spending time with her family and helping others find joy in family life.