The best chocolate cake recipe, ever — this decadent, moist chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting is an old family favorite. It’s requested for birthdays time and time again, and it’s quite easy to make. You’ll never want to make another chocolate cake recipe again!
I’m just going to say it. This is the best chocolate cake recipe ever. And I’m not just saying that to get you to try it…I truly believe this is the best chocolate cake I’ve ever eaten.
I know, I know…it’s a little bit silly to post a decadent, chocolate cake recipe right when people are starting new diets…but I couldn’t help it! It’s worth the splurge. Just start your new diet tomorrow.
This chocolate cake was created, and tested, and perfected, by my great-grandmother. Growing up, I’ve always heard my dad rave about this chocolate cake. He would always talk about how it was incredibly moist (he attributed that to it having a full cup of oil. Delicious, yes. Unhealthy…I’d say so) and nothing else could be compared to its deliciousness.
Considering how often my dad told me about this cake, you’d think I would have tried it a time or two. However, that was not the case. My dad wasn’t sure where the recipe was, or if there ever was one. You see, my great-grandmother never wrote recipes down, or really measured things out in traditional methods (by using measuring spoons.) However, we were able to get a copy of the recipe, which looks like it was in her handwriting, and I knew I had to try it out for a family Christmas party on my dad’s side of the family.
NEVER Miss Another Recipe!
Sign up for our food and recipe newsletter today
- Free eRecipeBook upon signup
- Free Meal Planning Bundle
- Easy and Family Friendly Recipes EVERYONE Will Love!
I made this cake three times, and from those experiences, I discovered one thing — do not change anything. Seriously. I know there’s a lot of sugar and oil, but if you are going to make a delicious chocolate cake…you can’t really skimp in those areas! I tried using all-purpose flour and homemade buttermilk the first time, and while, yes, it was good, it wasn’t perfect. The second and third time, I followed it perfectly…and it was delicious.
The original recipe had glaze/boiled frosting on it, but we couldn’t get it quite right, so we decided to use the cream cheese frosting my great-grandmother used on other cakes. I personally loved it, and I think it will definitely be my go-to frosting from now on.
A decadent and moist chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting recipe. This is truly the best chocolate cake recipe around!
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 stick butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pound 2 cups powdered sugar
- In a mixing bowl, beat together oil, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda until well-combined.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into wet ingredients, and mix until everything is smooth, and no chunks exist.
- After the wet and dry ingredients are combined, add in the cup of boiling water. Mix well. Batter will be slightly runny.
- Pour into a well greased, 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Let cool in pan.
- Frost once cool. Best served after being refrigerated for a few hours.
- Cream together cream cheese, vanilla, and butter until nice and smooth.
- Add powdered sugar in slowly and mix until combined and smooth.
- Refrigerate when not using.
All we ask is that you be kind. We welcome differing opinions, but any comments containing personal attacks, sarcasm, etc. will be removed immediately. Keyboard warriors aren’t welcome 🙂 All comments are moderated and may take time to be approved. Anything not pertaining specifically to the content of a post will be removed (including comments about ads).