It’s easy to know what to get a first-time mom for a gift – but a second-time mom? That can be a little trickier. Here are some of the best gifts for second-time moms that a veteran mama will LOVE!
When you have your first baby, it’s exciting to stock up on all the baby gear you need, teeny-tiny clothes, and everything in between.
With your second baby – especially if they are born within a few years of each – you tend to have a lot more of the essential items that you may have asked for with your first baby.
But that doesn’t mean you don’t need anything – and in my experience, people still enjoy giving gifts whether it’s a first or tenth baby.
Here is a big list of ideas that would be the best gifts for second-time moms!
Need some ideas for a second baby shower? Be sure to check out this post – 10 Alternatives to a Baby Shower – Fun and Easy Ideas
Gifts for Second Babies
A new baby can be a little overwhelming for the first-time sibling, especially if they are quite young. The best gift that you can give them is to help them adjust to the new baby (ideally by having them meet/see the baby before the due date), and by giving them some special one-on-one time with mom or dad. For example, give the sibling a gift certificate for a private ice cream date with mom or dad. The sibling may not be as excited about this as you think they will be (especially if they are younger), but it is a thoughtful and well-meaning gift to give. Here are some suggestions:
- Stuffed Animals
- Crayons/Coloring Book
- New Toy
- Board Game
- Craft Kit
- Sibling Gift Basket
- Subscription to Lovevery, Kiwi Crate, or Bookroo
- Toys for older siblings to play with baby (like a doll stroller) is always fun too! Toys that teach toddlers the importance of being gentle are also great.
- Personalized “First Big Brother” or “First Big Sister” Outfit
- Teaching ‘The Sibling’ Book for Ages 3-5
- Subscription to a place like Gymboree
- Offer to take the sibling out for a fun activity
- Zoo or Museum Membership
- Gift Basket or Box of Baby Toys
- Subscription to Lovevery or Kiwi Crate
A second child is often not as mellow or agreeable to being pushed around in a stroller. Having two kids who need to be taken places at the same time will likely mean that mom needs a double stroller!
Diapers and Wipes
No matter what number of baby you are on, you are going to need diapers and wipes. No matter what number baby you are on, new parents or old you are going to need diapers and wipes. These are the all-time baby essentials. Whether a person is using disposable or cloth diapers, some kind of diaper or wipes is a nice gesture. I think we are pretty much set on diapers for a few months!
When it comes to buying diapers, I would recommend not buying newborn diapers – most babies are only in these for a short time (if at all.) Of course, Jack was in newborn diapers for about two months, and Oliver is still a newborn, so there are exceptions.
But for the most part, according to a survey I did for this post about diaper stockpiling, size two tends to be a size babies are in for a while!
A diaper subscription service would be a fun gift as well.
If their baby is a different gender, they will definitely need some new clothes! While many items (such as onesies and blankets) can be gender-neutral, most parents will want some more gender-specific clothing. In that case, clothing items will be the most practical gifts
Many second-time moms already have things such as changing tables and cribs that they stored away after their first child was born, but they may need some new sheets and other accessories for the nursery.
There is so much new technology in the parenting world these days, and while most second-time moms probably already have a monitor and other devices like this, they may need new batteries or chargers! It would be a perfect gift for a busy mom who has to keep an eye on her children all the time.
- Swaddling Clothes
- Dreamland Sleep Sack – I swear by this! You can read a review we wrote here – Dreamland Baby Review + Coupon: How it Transformed My Son’s Sleep
- Baby Book
- Letters to Baby Book
- Custom photo blanket or keepsake blanket with ultrasound photos
- Portrait of the family
- Family Tree picture frame with ultrasound photos in it
- Customized wall art for the nursery
- Baby monitor
- Teething toys
- On-the-go diaper bag
- Bottle Sterilizer
- On-the-go wipes case
- Bible verse bookmarks
- “Blessings” blessings jar
- Rosary or Book of Prayers for Catholic parents
- Gift Card to local church bookstore (for Christian books)
- Baptism or Blessing Outfit
Same Gender Second Baby Gift Ideas
- A special item of clothing
- Matching shirts/stuffed animals
- Present for the older sibling
- A special photo shoot
- Monogrammed tote bag or picture frame with ultrasound photos/family’s names on it
- Personalized Portrait Watercolor Painting of the family together
- Glass ornament with ultrasound photos
- Personalized wall art for the nursery
- Personalized Name Art for Nursery
- Gift Basket or Box of Baby Toys
- Stuffed animal with ultrasound photo
- Parenting Books
Gifts For Second-Time Moms
- Lactation consult visits – I offer virtual visits!
- Online Breastfeeding Class
- Breastfeeding Supplies
- Pumping Supplies
- New baby carrier – trust me, a new mom of more than one child needs her hands free! Babywearing will be a lifesaver.
- Tandem Nursing Pillow (I sell some cute ones!)
- IPad/books/magazines to read in the bathroom with candy or snacks within arm’s reach!
- Magazine subscriptions for mom
- Post-Pregnancy Fitness Gear
- Subscription to “The Mommy Tummy Fix” (I would make sure they want this before just getting it!)
- Workout clothes – comfy ones that are still cute, but won’t give her a wedgie. Extra points if they have pockets for water bottles/keys/phone!
- “Thinking of You” Gift Basket
- Personalized Initial Necklace or Bracelet
- House cleaning – A new baby can create a lot of clutter, and parents will want to do some cleaning out. Along those lines, some storage boxes for toys and clothing would be great! Some storage boxes for toys and clothing would be a thoughtful gift along those lines!
- Frozen Meals – A second-time mom with a newborn baby is very sleep-deprived, and they may not feel like cooking for themselves. A few nights’ worths of frozen meals will be a lifesaver!
- Dinner Dropped Off – Drop off dinner (homemade or from a restaurant). This is always something I greatly appreciate! Especially if it is a relief to the new mama.
- Gift Cards – Parents who are dealing with a new baby can often find themselves running low on money, and they may also be too tired to go out and get the essentials. A gift card or two for some of their favorite grocery or drugstore items will be a huge help to them in saving their time!
- Babysitting Offer – If you have a second-time mom friend, the best thing that you can do for them is to offer to babysit from time to time! Babysitting a new baby is a lot of work and very tiring, so it will be helpful if they can get out of the house on occasion. Buy the second-time parents sometime!
- Water Bottle with fun mom stickers -(I sell some fun Breastfeeding ones and my sister sells some great ones for all types of moms)
- Candle for the bathtub/shower
- Bath Bombs
- Bath Salt Soak
- A subscription box – such as a snack box, beauty box, etc.
- Box of chocolates (or fruit, depending on mom’s diet)
- Cute loungewear
- Spa Day (includes hair and makeup; if she is breastfeeding, she may not want to do anything too heavy on perfumes/oils)
- Hair supplies (if she is breastfeeding, moisturizer for dry hair is also helpful)
- Prenatal Massage/Spa Day – Many second-time moms may have some aches and pains from baby no. 2, and a prenatal massage or spa day is a great way to help them relax!
- Rosary or Book of Prayers for Catholic parents
- Bible verse bookmarks
- Positive affirmation cards
- Jewelry box or jewelry organization box (if she already has one, maybe get her a pretty tray to store the pieces in?)
- Promptly Journal – lots of great options for commemorating pregnancy and your child.
- Photobook (or gift card to make one)
- Painted portrait
- Personalized tote bag with baby’s handprints on it
- Photography/Videography Session
Restaurant Gift Cards
We got several gift cards for restaurants at my baby shower, and I thought it was such a great idea! A lot of restaurants have a “to go” option. We had meals for the first week or two after Oliver was born, but I certainly wasn’t want to make dinner that soon after.
I was grateful that we had some gift cards to Olive Garden and Chilis – it made meals a little simpler.
Regular Gift Cards
If you aren’t sure if the mom needs anything in particular, a gift card to a store like Target, Walmart, a local grocery store, etc. would probably be appreciated.
Even a gift card to a maternity store to buy some maternity or nursing clothes (or to a non-maternity shop for after-pregnancy clothes) is a fun idea.
Meals (Frozen or Brought)
I always appreciate the meals that were brought to use after both of my boys were born. The last thing most people want to do is make dinner – at least, that’s how I felt! To be honest, I just barely started wanting to make dinner again. I think any new mom would appreciate the offer to bring a meal by after the baby is born. Freezer meals are also awesome!
If you are having trouble coming up with a theme for a baby shower for a second-time mom, a freezer meal party is such a great idea. In lieu of presents, everyone could either bring a freezer meal, or the ingredients to make one at the party. Before planning something like this, make sure the mom-to-be has enough freezer space.
We bought a deep freezer after Oliver was born, and I wish I had it before so I could have made some freezer meals myself before his arrival. There are tons of freezer meal tips and ideas online.
Postpartum Workout Subscription
Obviously, be careful with this one – you don’t want her thinking you think she needs to get back into shape ASAP after giving birth. But there are a lot of great exercise and pelvic floor rehab programs available just for moms. For the right mom, this could be a great gift. You can check out our favorite postpartum workouts for new moms here.
This is an amazing invention for breastfeeding moms. It allows you to catch dripping milk, hand express and collect milk easily, and then cup-feed your baby.
I would have LOVED this with my second baby – and I have one with my third, and it’s amazing.
I WISH I had this when my boys were babies. Grocery delivery is amazing, especially when you have little ones in tow. You can check out our full review here – Shipt Grocery Delivery Review: Is it Worth Doing? as well as this comparison of Shipt versus Instacart.
This is an amazing tool to help moms who are wanting to increase milk supply and pump output. I wish I’d had one when I was pumping with my second baby.
And from what I’ve been told, the pumping bra that is included with it is INCREDIBLE. You can use the code BFMAMA35 to get $35 off your purchase by clicking here.
I think any mom who has other children might appreciate the offer to watch her kiddos every now and again once the baby comes. Even if you just came to her house to watch her other children for an hour – or even offered to hold her baby while she sleeps.
Dreamland Baby Sleep Sack
This is the most expensive article of clothing I have for my child, but it helped me sleep a full two to three hours longer a night. And if there’s one thing I know about second-time moms, it’s that they are tired…and anything that can help their baby sleep better is worth their weight in gold.
I have tried SO many sleep swaddles and sacks, and this one is amazing. It works so well.
One of the greatest gifts I was given as a second time mom was from my dear sister-in-law, Charbel. Shortly after Oliver was born, she came over and cleaned our kitchen, living room, and Jack’s room. I don’t think it had ever looked so tidy and organized. Her selfless service touched me so much!
I know that my offering to clean someone’s house probably wouldn’t do them much good, so if I chose to do this, I may opt to just give them a gift certificate for a professional cleaner to come in. I see them on Groupon a lot!
Basket of Baby Favorites
I LOVE seeing this given at baby showers – just a bunch of items that a mom has loved. The sky is the limit, here are some different basket ideas:
- 30+ Baby Gift Basket Ideas For Every Budget
- Simple Breastfeeding Basket Ideas: From a Mom of (Almost) 3
I got a massage when I was about 30 weeks pregnant, and it was absolutely heavenly! I really think every pregnant mom should get one.
It was especially nice because I was having a lot of hip pain, and the massage therapist helped to relieve that.
Massages can be kind of expensive, so this would be a great group gift. Make sure the gift certificate is to a place that offers prenatal massages since special care has to be taken with pregnant mamas.
If the mom-to-be (again) had trouble breastfeeding in the past and wants to try again, gifting a breastfeeding class would be an awesome idea.
And since we all know pregnant mamas who already have kids are short on time, they might be interested in an online class. I offer various breastfeeding classes for all budgets that you could totally buy for someone.
The BedJet has literally changed my life. I am not even kidding. Since Oliver was born, I have had some major issues sleeping due to overheating at night, and this makes sleeping so much more comfortable.
A lot of women struggle with hormonal overheating problems, so this would be a really considerate gift to get.
Baby Gear Splurge
Most second-time mamas are going to have all of the basics – maybe consider buying more a splurge item (or go in on one with their friends).
I list some of my favorite splurges in this post – 25+ Awesome Baby Gifts for First-Time Parents They Will Actually Use.
I was able to get a 3D/4D ultrasound with both of my boys, and both times were the highlight of my pregnancy.
There are a bunch of different 3D/4D ultrasound places around, so just do some research on which ones are the best. This is another great idea for a group gift, since they typically run around $100-$200
A new mom probably won’t be going to a movie for a while after the baby is born, so gifting her some movie tickets to go on a date with her spouse would be fun! You can get a gift card to their favorite movie theater here.
Custom Hospital Gown
When I first heard that people brought their own hospital gowns to the hospital, I thought it was crazy. However, the more I thought about it, the more awesome it sounded.
Gift Card to Shutterfly, Minted, etc.
I love sending out birth announcements and creating a little book about my babies births, and I always use Shutterfly to do that.
The Owlet is the best baby product we own – it helped us discover our son’s sleep apnea, and it also alerted me when he was breathing was compromised when he was a newborn. With my third baby, it helped us realize my baby’s RSV was getting bad faster than his symptoms were showing. Since most second-time moms don’t need a lot of big items like a crib, stroller, etc., this is a GREAT gift to go in on with other people.
Moms of more than one kid know the importance of sleep, and the Owlet will ABSOLUTELY help her get more sleep with a new baby!
Updated Baby Products
Maybe the mom you are giving a gift to has a lot of baby products – but they might be old.
She may have had a large amount of space between her kids, or the items she got with her first baby were second-hand.
I know that we got a new swing because our other one was battery-powered…and those batteries didn’t last very long! Here are some of my favorite products I wish I’d known about with my first.
It may seem weird to give someone sheets and a comforter…but these are not just any sheets or comforter. Beddy’s are revolutionary!
They will make the new mom’s life SO much easier as she doesn’t have to worry about making her bed. And we all know that just having your bed made makes a room feel so, so much better.
Check out these other favorites from Clarks Condensed:
Katie is a Colorado-native, BYU graduated, and most importantly, wife to one and mother to three beautiful boys. She is passionate about sharing her experiences with others – especially about pregnancy, breastfeeding, cooking, and crafts. She is an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. She loves spending time with her family and helping others find joy in family life.