An easy and delicious week night meal, this loaded buffalo chicken casserole only takes about 30 minutes!
Sometimes I love just throwing together a bunch of items from the pantry and hoping that the recipe turns out well. As to be expected, there are some hits and some major misses. This loaded potato and buffalo chicken casserole definitely falls into the “hits” category. It has buffalo sauce, bacon, potatoes, panko, onions, cheese, and Kraft Fat Free ranch dressing (no longer just an ingredient for simple salad recipes!) It can be made in just about 30 minutes, which really is a requirement in my book (I may not be in college anymore, but I’m always referencing my list of easy recipes for college students!) I honestly wasn’t totally sure about this when the idea came to me. I had recently purchased a pourable bottle of Kraft Fat Free Ranch dressing at Walmart, and as it was sitting in our pantry unopened, I thought of the bottle of buffalo hot sauce that was sitting in the refrigerator, I thought they would go perfectly together. I know that blue cheese usually goes with Buffalo-flavored items…but I don’t like blue cheese, so ranch dressing is a great (and much tastier) alternative! As I was trying to decide what else to put in this dish, I couldn’t think of what would make it a little more substantial — I didn’t just want chicken with ranch dressing and buffalo sauce! Forrest suggested potatoes, and even though I first scoffed at the idea, I soon decided that it might just work. I had some frozen chopped russet potatoes that I used, though if you don’t have those, you could just chop a russet potato into about 2-inch chunks. From there, I just added crumbled bacon, bread crumbs, and onions, and topped it with mozzarella cheese. We baked it for about 20 minutes, and put it under broil for 2 (just to brown the cheese), and boy, did it smell delicious! We finished off this dish almost in one night, it was so good! I’m honestly not even the biggest ranch dressing fan (I’m more of a fan of Vinaigrette dressing), but the ranch and buffalo sauce taste great together. All the other ingredients really complimented each other as well, and needless to say, this will be on our meal plan again in the very near future!
- 1/2 bag of grilled chicken strips, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 bag of Ore Ida Russet Potatoes, or about 2 cups of chopped russet potatoes, pealed.
- 1 cup Kraft Ranch Dressing, I used Fat Free
- 1/4 cup Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce
- 4-5 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1 teapsoon parsley
- About 1 1/2 - 2 cups of Kraft mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut grilled chicken strips into bite sized pieces and place in a bowl.
- Add potatoes, ranch dressing, buffalo sauce, bacon, onion, and panko, and mix until everything is well combined.
- Pour into an 8x8 dish and cover with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes. If the cheese isn't melted, broil for 1-2 minutes.