Filling and perfect for breakfast, these spicy breakfast tacos are filled with scrambled eggs, chorizo, potatoes o’brien, and a creamy sauce on top.
This is a Sponsored post written by me on behalf of Walmart. All opinions are 100% mine.
So, funny story about these breakfast tacos…well, about the pictures. Right after I made them, I took some great (in my opinion) pictures that I was quite proud of. I even took a few of Jack enjoying them, just because I think he’s cute.
A few hours later, we were going somewhere, and Forrest wanted to take pictures of the Real Salt Lake stadium. He asked if we had enough room on our SD card, to which I replied, “Oh I’ll just format the SD card — I have all the ones I need uploaded already!”
Don’t ask me what I was thinking, but I totally DID not have about 50 pictures uploaded. However, I just went to Lesson of the day from Clarks Condensed – don’t do something unless you double, and triple check, it’s the right course of action.
ANYWAYS. These tacos. So good. You all probably know by now that I love breakfast. So, I’m always trying to come up with creative ways to make new breakfasts, and these spicy breakfast tacos are probably one of my new favorite recipes.
The breakfast tacos are filled to the brim with breakfast potatoes, eggs, chorizo, and a creamy, spicy sauce on top. I chose to use Ore-Ida® Potatoes O’brien because they already have peppers and onions in them, which eliminates that step for me! They are pretty much available everywhere and they take breakfast to a whole new level.
All of the flavors in these tacos really combined together nicely, and it was an incredibly filling breakfast. I could hardly stand eating just one taco (though, I admit, I may have helped Jack finish his off.) Since a few of these ingredients might be a little different, here is where to find them!
- Cotija Cheese: We found this in the refrigerated cheese aisle, though it was by the refrigerated salsa and tortillas, instead of with the shredded and blocks of cheese. If you have a Mexican grocery store close by, they will definitely have it in stock (and you can buy on Amazon, too!)
- Chorizo: Not all grocery stores carry this, but we usually buy it at Sprouts, or just a Mexican grocery store. Make sure to ask about the spiciness. Some chorizo is SUPER spicy. The kind we got for these tacos was perfect.
- Crema: There are a couple different versions of crema out there — we usually buy the the refrigerated kind (it is typically near the cream cheese in a regular grocery store), or you can buy the canned kind, which is just in the Latin food aisle.
- Ore-Ida® Potatoes O’Brien: These can be found at just about any grocery store, such as Walmart, in the frozen potatoes aisle (usually next to the frozen vegetables.)
Spicy Breakfast Tacos
- 1/3 bag Ore-Ida Potatoes O'Brien
- 1/2 pound chorizo
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon taco sauce
- 1/4 cup crema
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese (crumbled)
- 6 hard taco shells
- In a large pan, cook the breakfast potatoes according to instructions.
- In the mean time, cook chorizo in a skillet until cooked. Drain excess grease and set aside.
- In the same pan, crack all 5 eggs and scramble. Cover with a paper towel to keep warm, and set aside.
- Mix together crema and taco sauce.
- Assemble tacos as follows -- potatoes, eggs, chorizo, a drizzle of the crema/taco sauce, and however much cotija crumbles you want.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1153Total Fat: 88gSaturated Fat: 33gCholesterol: 200mgSodium: 3176mgCarbohydrates: 10gSugar: 2gProtein: 73g
For more delicious recipes using Ore-Ida® potatoes, be sure to check out their website…this Cheesy Potato Casserole sounds incredibly easy and delicious!
Katie is a Colorado-native, BYU graduated, and most importantly, wife to one and mother to three beautiful boys. She is passionate about sharing her experiences with others – especially about pregnancy, breastfeeding, cooking, and crafts. She is currently training to be a Certified Lactation Educator. She loves spending time with her family and helping others find joy in family life.
Leave a Reply