Sweet and spicy roasted tomatillo salsa, made with roasted green and jalapeno peppers, garlic, sugar, and lime. Perfect for parties, or just for snacking on.
There is a restaurant near where we live that I cannot get enough of — it’s called Milagros, and it’s honestly some of the best Mexican food around. Everything is fresh and homemade, and you can tell they use only the highest quality ingredients. However, the real reason I go is for the salsa. It is SO good. They give you two kinds — a red kind, and a green kind. Both are good, but the tomatillo salsa is my favorite. If I could afford it, I would go there all the time. Just for the salsa.
However, I can’t, so I became determined to make a salsa that tasted just like Milagros. So, last time we went, I asked our waiter what was in it. He told me that it had tomatillos and green peppers, and that the green peppers were roasted. I figured there must have been a jalapeno in there somewhere, since there was a decent kick to it.
After a little trial and error, I believe I found the perfect copy cat recipe of Milagros’ Tomatillo Salsa. It has the perfect amount of sweet and spicy. However, if you don’t like it being spicy, leave out the jalapeno (but definitely cut down the sugar), or if you want it less sweet, just add less sugar. The key to this salsa is roasting the tomatillos, the jalapenos, and the green pepper. Don’t skip this step! I definitely will be making this salsa a lot more from now on!
Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatillos
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 jalepeno
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1 Tablespoon lime
- 10 teaspoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoon cilantro
- about 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Wash peppers and tomatillos, and place in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes on each side (alternatively, you can broil them for five minutes on each side.)
- After peppers and tomatillos are roasted, remove from oven. Cut off the stems on the peppers, and de-seed them.
- Place all the ingredients except for the sugar and salt into a food process, and process until all ingredients are finely chopped and well-combined.
- Add in sugar, a couple teaspoons at a time. Blend the sugar, and taste. Add more until it reaches desired sweetness level.
- After adding sugar, add in about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com