Saltine cracker toffee is one of our family favorites – and there’s a reason why we sometimes call it Christmas crack. You can never eat just one bite!
Saltines Cracker Toffee
Saltine Crackers Toffee Recipe
Tips for Success
- I HIGHLY recommend having a silicone baking mat to make this one. I’ve made it on tin foil and parchment paper in the past, and it always sticks to it. Tin foil inevitably gets stuck, and it’s not fun to get a piece of that when eating it!
- If you don’t have access to a silicone baking mat, I would just spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and put the crackers directly on there.
- After you take the pan out of the oven, place the chocolate chips on it immediately and wait a few minutes before you start to spread them around. They need to start to melt first.
- I have used Andes Christmas Chocolate mints on top, as well as the crushed candy canes – and I think I prefer the crushed candy canes. They really give it a nice crunch. They aren’t super hard or anything – I feel like all of this just melts into your mouth.
- Make sure you refrigerate it after you are done making it! It only takes about 30 minutes, but it definitely hardens up a lot more easily.
- Can I use less sugar? I have personally not tried this, and it might affect how well it caramelizes it – but you can certainly experiment with it.
- Can I use a different kind of cracker? Yes, you can. People have had success using graham crackers, butter crackers, etc. I would make sure they are as plain as possible, though – so you probably don’t want to throw some flavored or multigrain cracker in there.
- Can I freeze it? Yes, you can. Just make sure you take it out with plenty of time to thaw 🙂
- Does it need to be refrigerated? Nope!
Saltine Cracker Toffee Recipe
You can view the printable version of this recipe below
Peppermint candy canes (or other candies – the sky is the limit)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Lay Crackers out on a greased cookie sheet or a silicone baking mat (my preferred method)
Melt together 1 cup of butter with 1 cup of brown sugar until it comes to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, stir continuously for five minutes.
Pour over the crackers and spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Place in the oven for five minutes.
Crush your candy canes. I started with this bowl this time and tried to smash with a potato smasher, but I found it easier to just move it to a plastic bag.
Sprinkle the chocolate chips all over the crackers once they come out of the oven and let sit about three minutes.
Spread with a rubber spatula.
Sprinkle peppermints all over the top.
Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Break apart into pieces and enjoy!
Saltine Cracker Toffee
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 sleeve of Saltines
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Crushed Candy Canes - about 1/2 a cup. You could also use peppermints.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray cookie sheet or lay down a silicone baking mat.
- On stove top combine butter and brown sugar. Once melted bring to a boil and keep stirring for 3 mins.
- Pour over crackers evenly and bake for 5 mins (Toffee will be bubbly)
- Take out of oven and pour the chocolate chips on top.
- As you see the chocolate start melting use a spatula or back of a spoon to spread it evenly over all the crackers.
- Add crushed candy cane or any other kind of treat (i.e. mini M&M's, white chocolate, toffee chips) to the top while the chocolate is still melting.
- Refrigerate for 30 mins and then break apart in uneven pieces.
- And enjoy!!
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com