- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups sifted cake flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups buttermilk, (or 1 1/2 cups milk, minus 1 tablespoon + 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Mix together and let sit at room temperature for about two minutes.)
- Zest of one large lemon
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare two 9-inch round cake pans by spraying with cooking spray and shaking flour around evenly.
- Mix together both flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar in a medium bowl.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer (or a large bowl if you are using a hand mixer), beat oil, shortening, vanilla bean paste, and lemon juice. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in one egg at a time.
- Fold in the lemon zest.
- Stir in the dry ingredients a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Fold in 8 ounces frozen blueberries - washed and floured
- Be careful not to overmix batter.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 35-40 minutes. Check at 35 minutes.
- Allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes before removing from pans.
- Prepare the lemon curd recipe below.
- Prepare your favorite buttercream recipe, adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of finely chopped lemon peel.
- After the cakes are completely cool, spoon a layer of lemon curd on top of the first layer. Top with the over layer.
- Frost with buttercream.
- Decorate with blueberries and lemon slices.
All we ask is that you be kind. We welcome differing opinions, but any comments containing personal attacks, sarcasm, etc. will be removed immediately. Keyboard warriors aren’t welcome 🙂 All comments are moderated and may take time to be approved. Anything not pertaining specifically to the content of a post will be removed (including comments about ads).