Easy and cheesy green chile chicken enchiladas. Easy to freeze, and absolutely delicious.
Green Chile Enchilada Recipe
Whenever I have to choose my favorite meal, I immediately say chicken enchiladas.
But not just any chicken enchiladas.
I’m not a huge fan of the ones in flour tortillas and that are made with a cream sauce.
I’m talking about the delicious, green chili ones that my mom has made my entire life. I request them every time I go home to Colorado, and make them quite often in our house.
Easy Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- Are these chicken enchiladas gluten free? There is nothing in these that inherently have gluten – just make sure to double check the enchilada sauce and corn tortillas.
- Can I omit the cream cheese? Sure! I actually do all the time.
- What to eat with chicken enchiladas? There are lots of great options – rice, beans, and salsa are our favorites.
- How can I make these healthier? Sometimes we will add pinto beans to the chicken mixture, as well as mixed veggies like grilled onions and peppers. Omitting the cream cheese will cut down on the fat/caloric content.
- My tortillas broke. I’m sorry! The best thing you can do is make sure they are nice and warm and not overly crispy. You can skip frying them and just warm them up in the microwave with a wet paper towel on top.
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1 lb chicken, cooked
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- 1 can green chile enchilada sauce
- 2-3 cups Colby Jack shredded cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese (optional)
- Oil for frying
- 10 corn tortillas
- Cooking Oil
- 1 lb chicken breast, diced or large can of chicken (we also like to use Rotisserie chicken)
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- 1 8 ounce can green chile enchilada sauce
- Cream cheese (optional)
- 1-2 cups Colby Monterrey Jack Cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly fry corn tortillas in oil. Remove excess grease with a paper towel and set aside.
- Cook diced chicken breast in oil and season with garlic powder and onion powder. You can use canned chicken as well.
- In a large cooking dish, lightly coat the bottom with enchilada sauce.
- Place one tortilla in the pan, add chicken and cheese, and roll up. Repeat with all tortillas.
- Cover with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Bake covered with tin foil for 20 minutes. Bake remaining 10 minutes without foil.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 279 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 73mg Sodium: 271mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Protein: 25g
Originally published in 2013; updated in 2019
These can easily be frozen, and are great for those days when you just need a quick and easy meal!