The verdict? Delicious. It combines all the delicious aspects of breakfast food (egg, sausage or bacon, and pancakes) into one sandwich. I loved the pancake buns. Sure, it’s not healthy…but I wasn’t thinking about that when I was eating it. However, we thought it seemed like it would be easy to make at home…which could help make it a little bit healthier.
I’ll admit, it was a bit of a disaster as we were making it because we didn’t pick the best sausage to work with (though, it was yummy sausage) and they didn’t stay in the patties I formed them into. However, they did taste almost exactly like the McDonald’s McGriddle, and we will definitely be making them again soon.
What is your favorite McDonald’s breakfast food?
Copycat McGriddle Recipe
- Copcat McGriddle
- serves six
- 1 2/3 flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Maple Sugar Crystals*
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 1 tbsp butter
- Sausage either six patties, or 3/4 pound of favorite variety
- American cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs and milk, and then add to flour mixture, and mix until smooth.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together 1/2 cup maple sugar crystals with water, and then mix into batter. Set batter aside.
- Heat a griddle or frying pan and cook sausages. It would probably be easiest just to use pre-made patties, but feel free to make your own! Remove from griddle to paper towel and pat away excess grease.
- In a bowl, crack eggs and whisk together with 1 cup milk and a few shakes of pepper and salt. If you can get your hands on a rectangle cookie cutter, that will create the most "authentic" McGriddle egg (just pour egg into cookie cutter) or just cook mini omelette style eggs. Cook until eggs are not runny, and carefully move to another plate.
- Finally, pour about 3-inch wide, and 1 1/2 inch thick circles of batter onto griddle. The batter should be thick. Sprinkle maple sugar crystals on top of pancakes. Flip as needed, until pancakes are browned and cooked through. Make sure to cook two pancakes for each sandwich.
- Assemble like this: Pancake, sausage, cheese, egg, pancake.
- *Maple sugar crystals can be hard to find. We had to go to a few different health food stores to find them, but eventually did at Whole Foods.
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com