A delicious frito casserole that only takes one pot and twenty minutes!
Frito taco casserole is a family favorite for all ages. This one pot version is perfect for those busy nights!
We had a lot of casseroles growing up.
And if you’ve been following our recipes here for very long, you’ll know that I’ve carried that “tradition” on to my little family as well.
I always joke that if I ever went on MasterChef, I’d probably just come up with casseroles for every challenge…and I’d probably be promptly sent home.
But really, there’s no shame in the casserole game. They are easy, tasty, and family friendly – three crucial requirements in my book.
My mom would sometimes make Frito corn chip casserole, and it was definitely one of my favorite dishes. I loved how the Frito chips would slightly soften up, and it just tasted oh-so-delicious with cream of mushroom soup and ground beef.
Of course, Frito casserole isn’t the healthiest recipe around…but it is definitely delicious.
The other day, I decided I wanted to make it. I honestly am not sure if I’ve ever actually made it since we’ve been married, so I was excited to try it out.
I do try to avoid using cream of mushroom (or chicken, or whatever) soups, so I made my own cream of mushroom soup was the base. I made everything in one pot, and I finished it over in the oven.
It turned out really yummy! I added a few new ingredients – such as black beans, red peppers, and red onions – but I think it was great. It wasn’t Jack’s favorite meal, but Forrest, Oliver, and I all really enjoyed it.
Frito Pie Casserole with Ground Beef
One Pot Frito Pie Casserole
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk or almond milk
- 4 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1/4 medium red onion diced
- 1 cup Colby Monterrey Jack Shredded Cheese divided
- 3/4 bag of Frito
- Cook ground beef or ground turkey until browned - remove excess grease and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a pot or deep skillet, add the butter and melt.
- Whisk in 2 tablespoons of flour until you create a roux (somewhat like a paste)
- Whisk in milk over medium-high heat until it starts to thicken.
- Add mushrooms and salt and pepper to taste and let cook a few minutes - whisking continually.
- Add ground beef, red pepper, and onion. Mix.
- Add in about 1/2 the bag of Fritos and the 1/2 cup cheese and mix.
- Add more fritos and cheese on top, and place in oven for about 10 minutes.
- If cheese isn't totally melted, broil for 1-2 minutes.
Here are some other one-pot recipes you may enjoy:
- One Pot Pastalaya Recipe
- Easy One Pot Rigatoni: Weight Watchers Friendly
- One Pot Buffalo Chicken Alfredo Recipe