White queso dip is one of my favorite appetizers – and now you can make it in the Instant Pot using this easy and popular recipe!
Instant Pot White Queso Recipe
I’ve never been a big cheese fan…but I sure can’t get enough of white queso.
There’s just something so delicious about warm, flavorful white cheese being scooped up with chips.
A few weeks ago, I was assigned to bring a cheese dip to a family get together, and I thought it would be fun to try and make an Instant Pot queso dip.
I know, I know, it goes against all rules about experimenting new recipes for parties and guests…but I really felt confident about this one.
It took me a while to decide exactly how to go about it, but in the end, I think this recipe is pretty much delicious.
It is a recipe that you do need to keep warm – so I would consider moving to a small slow cooker or keeping the bowl on a warming plate. It is absolutely delicious though, and I think it’s pretty much foolproof.
I used a Pyrex glass bowl to cook the queso in my Instant Pot, and I think it worked out pretty well. I did have a little bit of trouble getting it out…but in the end, I was successful. That’s just something to keep in mind.
This had a wonderful flavor, and it was perfect for chips and for the taco bar that we served it at. After it is done, you do need to whisk it for a little bit to make sure everything is smooth. But it’s delicious!
New to Instant Pot? Read our ultimate Instant Pot guide for everything you need to know!
Recipe published in 2017. Updated in 2019.
How to Make White Queso
Instant Pot (I have a six quart – any size is fine)
Instant Pot safe bowl (I use this brand).
3/4 lb White American Cheese
1 cup quesadilla shredded cheese mix
1 Tablespoon butter
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 small can Rotel
1 Tablespoon milk
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
1 cup water
1/2 lb mild chorizo, cooked and crumbled – optional
Add water to Instant Pot.
Put trivet in the bottom of your Instant Pot.
Cover the bottom of an Instant Pot safe bowl (that fits in your IP) with foil and place on trivet.
Add all ingredients into the bowl and cover with tin foil.
Place lid on Instant Pot, make sure the valve is sealed, and set for 18 minutes on manual high pressure.
After the timer goes over, release the pressure immediately.
Remove lid once pressure has been released.
Remove tin foil and whisk the dip immediately until smooth. You may have to set your Instant Pot to “saute” if it’s cooled too much.
If you are adding chorizo, mix in now.
- Where do I find white American cheese? I always get it from the deli.
- What brand of shredded cheese mix did you use? I used Senor Gusto Quesadilla Shredded cheese. Any type of quesadilla shredded cheese will do.
- What bowl did you use? I just used a Pyrex glass bowl that fit in my pot.
- Can I make this in my slow cooker? I have not tried this, but I’m sure you could. I would put all the ingredients in a slow cooker on low for 3-4 hours or high for about two.
- Can I make this without Rotel? Yes, the flavors might be a little different. But it should still turn out fine.
- 3/4 lb white american cheese, slices
- 1 cup queso shredded cheese mix
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup water
- Put one cup of water in the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- Cover the bottom of an Instant Pot safe bowl with tin foil and place on a trivet that has been placed on the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- Add all ingredients and cover top of bowl with tin foil.
- Put on Instant Pot lid and set for 18 minutes on manual high
- After time is up, quick pressure release and remove lid.
- Remove tin foil and whisk immediately until smooth. You may need to set the pot to "saute" to help.
- I like to buy my American cheese sliced from the deli.
- When the recipe is done, you will likely see that is a little bit separated. Whisking this while it's still hot will help to combine everything.
Other Instant Pot Recipes you might enjoy: