Eastern North Carolina pulled pork is vinegar based with a bit of kick. This is our favorite recipe – made ready for the Instant Pot!
Instant Pot BBQ
Before I met Forrest, I didn’t realize how many different definitions for the ideal pulled pork (or bar-b-cue sauce there were!
I grew up in Colorado, and pretty much anytime we had pulled pork, it would be slathered in a sweet and tangy red sauce.
So imagine my surprise when I was dating Forrest, and when he invited me to have some Eastern Carolina pulled pork.
I was not expecting a vinegar sauce that had no tomatoes anywhere near it! Let alone the expectation to top it with a cole slaw that was also vinegar based.
Fortunately, I realized pretty quickly how delicious it was, and I’ve loved it ever since. Now whenever people talk about bar-b-cue sauces, I always make sure to ask what region it’s from. Because it really does vary SO much (even in North Carolina there are a couple different sauces).
Anyways, I shared a few years ago an Eastern North Carolina Barbecue Sauce recipe a while ago. I usually make the pork in a slow cooker, but since I love my Instant Pot so much, I thought I should make an Instant Pot recipe. If you are in a hurry, there are vinegar based sauces (we like Scott’s), and you can just pour that over the pork before you cook it!
It turned out better than I expected – it tasted just like it had been slow cooked for hours. The beauty of a pressure cooker, right? With lots of summer parties coming up where pulled pork is often the centerpiece, I thought it was time that I finally share this recipe. I’ve been sitting on it for a while, waiting for the right time to release it…and that time is now!
This is perfect for summertime (or anytime!)
Traditionally, you top this kind of pulled pork with a vinegar based slaw recipe. We always base ours off of this recipe – but instead of getting all the individual ingredients for the vegetables, we just buy a bag of coleslaw. It works great!
Instant Pot Eastern Carolina BBQ Pulled Pork
- 1-2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3-4 lb boneless pork butt (cut into 2” thick chunks)
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (like Tabasco)
- In a separate bowl, mix together all the ingredients except for the pork butt. Set aside ½ cup.
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute setting. Once hot, add olive oil to the bottom.
- Place pork pieces in the pot and sear on all sides for a couple of minutes.
- Add sauce (minus the 1/2 cup of reserved) to pork. Put lid on Instant Pot.
- Set for 90 minutes high manual pressure. Let pressure release naturally.
- Shred pork
- Add 1/2 cup of reserved sauce to the pulled pork.
- Serve with cole slaw on a bun.
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com