We had the opportunity to review two recipes from the Six Sister’s cook book – a Year with the Six Sisters. It has meal plans for the whole year!
Black Bean Tacos
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- ¼ cup salsa
- About 1/2 cup red pepper and onion sauteed
- Romaine Lettuce
- Mozzarella Cheese
- 8 corn tortillas
- About ¼ cup oil I used coconut oil
- Combine all ingredients except for cheese and tortillas in a bowl. Coarsely mash mixture until everything is combined.
- Heat a skillet with about 1/4 cup to medium high heat.
- Place tortilla in the oil and lightly fry. Remove and place on a tortilla to get rid of excess oil.
- Place tortilla on a baking sheet and spread about 2 tablespoons of the black bean mixture on half of the corn tortilla.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of the red pepper and onion.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
- Fold the other half of the tortilla over the mixture. Flip over if you need the beans to weight down the tortilla to keep it closed.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Serve with extra salsa and romaine lettuce.
For dessert, Forrest made the applesauce chocolate chip cookies. We originally were going to cut down the sugar a little bit…but forgot! We did add peanut butter, and a little bit of cocoa powder, which made them really good. I even had to have Forrest hide them so I wouldn’t eat them (and because I’m like my two-year-old…no self-control when it comes to desserts!)
Peanut Butter Apple Sauce Cookies
- 1 1/4 cup cinnamon apple sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/3 peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour use 1 cup wheat, 1 cup white, if you want!
- 1 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together applesauce, brown sugar, butter, and egg.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except chocolate chips) and stir until well-combined. Dough should not be runny.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Grease a cookie sheet, or prepare a silicone baking sheet.
- Place about a tablespoon of cookie dough on the sheet, and repeat, putting cookie dough about 1 inch apart.
- Bake 13-15 minutes.
- Let cool.