An easy chicken tikka masala recipe that is dairy free, family friendly, and delicious. Also a Low FODMAP recipe. Our whole family devoured this!
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1 small container of dairy free vanilla yogurt, we used Almond Dream brand
- 2 tablespoons lemon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic infused oil, or 1 clove of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons garlic infused olive oil, or 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- Five stalks of green onions, diced
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garam masala, or 3/4 tsp cumin, 1/4 teaspon corriandor, 1/4 teaspoon cardamom, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of chili powder
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup coconut milk cream
- Turn oven to broil.
- Diced uncooked chicken.
- Combine the ingredients for the chicken marinade in a small bowl.
- Place chicken in marinade for 15 minutes.
- Place chicken in one layer in a glass dish or other baking dish with sides.
- Bake under broil for about five minutes on each side.
- Remove from oven, and prepare the sauce.
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil into a skillet.
- Place red pepper, green onions, and ginger in the pan, and saute for about eight minutes.
- Add tomato paste, garam masala, paprika, chili powder, and tomatoes, and cook for about three minutes.
- Add coconut cream and stir until combined.
- Add chicken and heat until the dish is heated through.
- Serve over rice and with naan!
Inspired by The Kitchn
Over the past few months, you have may have noticed me mentioning the term “Low FODMAP” in different posts. While I’ll explain a little more about what this is later, it’s basically the diet that our son is on. It has a lot of restrictions, and it’s been an interesting adventure recreating some of our favorite recipes to be compliant with the diet.
As I’ve been making these recipes, I thought it would be fun to share my recreations of family favorites in an eBook. So I’ve been cooking up a storm coming up with a bunch of delicious recipes for anyone who is on a Low FODMAP diet (though, truth be told, they are delicious for everyone!) While I don’t have an anticipated release date for it yet, I thought it would be fun to share a few sneak peaks along the way to get you all excited!
I absolutely LOVE Indian Food. When we lived in Provo, we really enjoyed a restaurant called India Palace. They had the most fantastic naan bread, and their chicken tikka masala was to die for. I seriously crave it all the time.
The craving hit hard last week when we were staying with my in laws. I started searching for different recipes, and I was disappointed to see that they all had dairy, onions, and garlic – all of which are not allowed on a low FODMAP diet. So, I made some swaps and improvisations, and seriously, it turned out so good. Jack, Forrest, and I totally devoured it (and sopped it up with gluten free naan…but that’s a recipe for another time), and I felt like it tasted JUST like the kind from India Palace.
Instead of onions we used green onions, and instead of garlic gloves, I used a little bit of garlic infused olive oil (which is okay on this diet.) I had to make my own Garam Masala, because the two grocery stores we went to didn’t have it (though the next day, we went to another one, and it did.) It was super easy though, and if you can’t find it at the store, you’ll probably have most of the spices that it is comprised of at home.
Anyways, I really loved this Low FODMAP, dairy free chicken tikka masala sauce. It was pretty easy, and it will definitely be on our meal plan again in the near future!