A delicious skinny alfredo sauce recipe with parmesan crusted chicken strips. This recipe has all the flavor and creaminess of traditional alfredo sauce, just a little healthier and more lactose-intolerant friendly.
I love anything with a creamy, white sauce on it. Sadly, creamy food + me = sick. Despite that, I still eat it, despite my best efforts.
So, when I discovered that you can use coconut milk cream as a substitute for heavy cream and half and half, I realized that I could easily make creamy sauces again that wouldn’t result in me feeling sick afterwards, especially if I use real butter (which is naturally lactose free) and parmesan cheese (which is very low in lactose as well.)
I was so excited to try this out, and I was able to during the holidays when I was visiting my family in Colorado. My mom had been raving about a recipe for a garlic parmesan alfredo sauce someone had brought our family recently, and I was dying to try it. So, I thought it was the perfect time to make some alterations to make it lactose-intolerant friendly.
I also made some simple and delicious homemade chicken strips. This was using my mom’s recipe, which is the bomb.com. I love pretty much any kind of chicken, but these…these are something special, and they go perfectly with this alfredo sauce.
This is one of my favorite dishes, and it really comes together so easy! It’s so tasty.
*Most brands of Kraft Natural Cheese have had the lactose removed, along with the whey, resulting in 0 grams of lactose, including the 100% Grated Parmesan that is used in this recipe. However, some remnants of lactose could remain, just not at a reportable level. From most that I’ve talked to that are lactose intolerant, Kraft Cheese does not bother them, but if you have an extreme intolerance, be cautious.
- Four boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon Montreal Seasoning
- 2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Cooking Oil
- Cut chicken breasts into strips.
- Combine together all ingredients except chicken and oil in a bowl and mix.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a large frying pan
- Once heated, cover chicken strips in bread crumb mixture, and then place in oil. Repeat until pan is filled with one layer.
- Cook on each side for about one minute, then cover with a lid, and let cook for about five minutes over medium heat. Stand close to make sure they don't start to burn.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup Coconut milk cream*
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, I typically use the shredded or shaved kind from the store
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- Place butter and coconut milk into a pan. Heat over medium heat until it starts to boil lightly (do not let it get to a heavy boil.)
- Add remaining ingredients and whisk until corn starch is dissolved. Once thickened, bring down to a low simmer until ready to eat.
- Toss with pasta of choice. We love eating it with parmesan chicken (see below), sauteed onions, mushrooms, and broccolli!
Katie is a Colorado-native, BYU graduated, and most importantly, wife to one and mother to three beautiful boys. She is passionate about sharing her experiences with others – especially about pregnancy, breastfeeding, cooking, and crafts. She is currently training to be a Certified Lactation Educator. She loves spending time with her family and helping others find joy in family life.