This jalapeno cheddar cornbread recipe will disappear quickly, so be sure to make extra! This recipe includes gluten free and dairy free options, and it is low FODMAP diet friendly. It still tastes AMAZING even if it’s gluten free!
Gluten Free Cornbread Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter or Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup almond milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice, mixed together and let to set for 1 minute
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup white flour or Namaste Perfect Gluten Free Flour Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese omit for dairy free
- 2 jalapenos chopped and de-seeded
- Preheat oven to 385.
- Put butter in a 9x13 baking dish. Place in oven until butter is melted.
- Mix together white sugar with butter, and then beat eggs in until blended.
- Mix together baking soda and buttermilk, and mix into the dish.
- Add cornmeal, flour, and salt and mix until everything is combine.
- Add jalapenos and cheddar.
- Smooth batter.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Inspired by http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grandmothers-buttermilk-cornbread/
I love cornbread. Love, love, love. With that being said, I’m very picky about my cornbread! It can’t be too dry, but it also can’t be too moist. I had some a few weeks ago that was on the verge of being a little too moist (as in, not done.) It can’t be too crumbly or not have enough flavor. Really, it just has to be good.
Jack loves cornbread, too. Unfortunately, with him being on a low FODMAP diet, typical cornbread just doesn’t cut it. My brother invited us to a chili dinner and trunk-or-treat party at his church, and I knew that it would be hard to keep Jack away from the cornbread, so I decided to make him some gluten free cornbread. This recipe can easily be made using regular flour, so don’t let that scare you away, but if you need a gluten free option, this is it. It isn’t entirely dairy free, but if you want it to be, just omit the cheese.
Even better, you can make this all in one dish. Almost zero cleanup. At the party, it was one of the first cornbread dishes that was gone. It was plenty moist, had a bit of spice from the jalapeno, and it was just delicious. I used Namaste Food’s Perfect Gluten Free Flour blend (not sponsored, I just discovered it on my own at Costco!) Since I’m new to gluten free cooking, I was super pleased to find this brand. I’ve made several recipes with it so far, and they’ve all been delicious.
I know chili cook-off season is almost over, but I assure you, this jalapeno cheddar cornbread is one recipe you’ll want to make year-round!
And now, for a fun giveaway! $300 Paypal cash, just in time for the holidays!
The Weary Chef – Hot Eats and Cool Reads – Krafted Koch
Five Heart Home – Flavor the moments – Food Faith Fitness
Pint Sized Baker – Dieter’s Downfall – Delightful E Made
Belle of the Kitchen – Petite Allergy Treats – Clarks Condensed
Yesterfood – I Dig Pinterest – Memories by the Mile
My Turn for Us – House of Yumm – Yummy Healthy Easy
Julie’s Eats & Treats – Love Bakes Good Cakes – Diary of a Recipe Collector
Melanie Makes – The Bitter Side of Sweet – Life Made Sweeter
Maebells – From Everyday To Gourmet – My Gluten-Free Kitchen
Or Whatever You Do – Wishes and Dishes – Lemon Tree Dwelling – Chelsea’s Messy Apron