Make your own homemade funfetti cake with this easy and delicious recipe!
First off all, I have to say a big happy birthday to my sweet Jack. He is two today, and we are so grateful he is our son! Isn’t he so handsome?!
I have a post I’m writing lamenting on motherhood…but I just haven’t had time to finish it (life of a mom right?!) So, I thought I would share a fun recipe for the cake we had at Jack’s birthday party a few weeks ago.
I don’t care how old you get — you are never too old for funfetti! I thought it would be fun to make a homemade funfetti cake. It’s a super simple recipe, but it’s fun to make. I always think homemade cakes are always better.
Sure, just buying a funfetti cake from the store would be easier, but you can use whatever sprinkles you want by making it yourself (I absolutely love this assorted batch from Wilton — so easy to work with!), and honestly, it doesn’t require a whole lot more effort than making a store bought cake requires. I promise!
One thing I should note — don’t mix the sprinkles in using a beater! I made that mistake, and it pretty much turned the cake a weird, greenish blue color. Fortunately after it was baked, it wasn’t quite such an odd color. I recommend making the cake recipe, pour it into the pans, and then pour a bunch of sprinkles into the batter. That’s what I did after my first mishap, and it worked much better!
Now, excuse me, while I go snuggle by big two-year-old (Thomas the Tank Engine is calling!)
Homemade Funfetti Cake Recipe
- 1 3/4 cup white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk, or almond milk
- 1 cup oil, or substitute 1/2 apple sauce, 1/2 oil, for a slightly healthier cake
- 1/2 cup sprinkles, in any color you want!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat sugar and eggs together until slightly thickened.
- Add flour, milk, oil, baking powder, and vanilla and beat for about a minute until the batter becomes creamy and smooth.
- Prepare two cake pans, or one 9x13 pan.
- Divide the batter into two equal batches.
- Pour one of the batches of batter into both of the pans. Sprinkle desired amount of sprinkles all around.
- Pour remaining batter into each pan and sprinkle sprinkles again.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pans.
Katie is a Colorado-native, BYU graduated, and most importantly, wife to one and mother to three beautiful boys. She is passionate about sharing her experiences with others – especially about pregnancy, breastfeeding, cooking, and crafts. She is currently training to be a Certified Lactation Educator. She loves spending time with her family and helping others find joy in family life.
Brenna @ Life After Laundry says
I love funfetti cakes, but hate buying box mixes, so glad I don’t have to now.
Jennifer @ Deliciously Sprinkled says
I love funfetti cake, and this homemade version sounds delicious! Pinned 🙂
Thank you so much!I thought it was delicious 🙂