This American classic will serve the whole crowd when you make slab apple pie.
Hi, everyone. Amber from Pillsbury here again. This time I am here to share a simple and delicious dessert with you. I love apple pie. It’s sweet and cinnamony. Do you know what is better than apple pie? A giant apple pie of course.
What better way to make this crowd pleaser than jumbo sized? It’s all about the size pan. I made mine in a half sheet pan, which is 18 inches by 13 inches. You can also use a jelly roll pan. A pan of this size will require four pie crusts. You can buy them or make your own. If you are hoping for ready made that is gluten free I know that Pillsbury makes some.
You will use two crusts for the bottom and two for the top. The trick is to roll two out together and then trim the extra and use it to fill in the holes. That way you end up with a crust that completely covers the top and the bottom.
Slab Apple Pie
- 4 pie crusts
- 12 cups of sliced apples about one dozen apples
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon plus more for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place cut apples in to a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Sprinkle over apples and stir to coat evenly.
- Grease your pan.
- On top of parchment, roll out two pie crusts to create one large rectangular crust that matches the dimensions of your pan. Cut off the extra pieces to fill in any holes to make a single rectangular piece.
- Using the parchment to help you lift the dough off the counter, flip the crust into the pan and press against the edges.
- Roll out top crust using the last two crusts and the same method as before.
- Spread apples evenly in the bottom crust.
- Drizzle heavy cream over apples.
- Place top crust over apples and pinch edges to seal.
- Brush crush with water.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Dust with cinnamon.
- Cut slits in the crust to release steam.
- Bake for 50 - 60 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- Cool completely before serving.
This slab apple pie is big enough to serve at any family gathering. Slab pies for Thanksgiving anyone?
If you are a pie lover too be sure to check out my Apricot Hand Pies.