A quick and easy lunch, snack or appetizer — mini shredded chicken tacos. Filled with shredded chicken, a blend of spices, and cheese, these will easily be a huge hit for even the pickiest eater!
My mom used to buy these mini tacos from Costco that I absolutely loved. They weren’t exactly the healthiest snack, but I enjoyed having them for my “after school snack” (did anyone else look forward to those all day?)
Now whenever I go to Costco and I see the same box, I’m still tempted to buy it. However, the frugal/trying to be healthier side of me stops me. But the other day, I was really wanting some. I mean, it was kind of ridiculous. But, I didn’t want to go to the store just to buy this silly little treat.
So, I decided to make my own.
I thought to myself…how hard could it be? The mini tacos from the store were always kind of greasy, so I wanted to eliminate that aspect, but I figured it required a few ingredients (all of which I had in my pantry) and wouldn’t be too hard to assemble.
And they weren’t! I took several corn tortillas and made smaller tortillas out of them — it’s kind of confusing to explain, so here are some pictures. Basically, I placed a drinking glass on the corn tortilla firmly, and just gently tore away the corn tortilla around the glass, leaving a nice, smaller tortilla.
After that, I made a simple chicken mixture, and I made the tacos. To bake them (and ensure they didn’t lose their taco shape) I put them in an upside down muffin tin. Genius, I know.
About 15 minutes later, they were done…and we were all happy. Jack loved them because they were tiny enough for his little hands, and I loved them…because, well, they were delicious! This is definitely a yummy appetizer, or even lunch idea, that I think everyone can enjoy. You can change the spices to be customize for your taste palate, too. I think it would be fun to do this with shredded beef — just to mix things up!
- 9 corn tortillas (or enough to create 18 small tortillas)
- 1 can chicken (12.5 ounces)
- About 1/2 cup Salsa Verde (any variety)
- 1/2 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a medium-sized cup, press firmly on one corn tortilla (as close to the edge as possible) and remove the tortilla around the cup, leaving a smaller tortilla (see pictures for tutorial). Repeat until you have 18 small tortillas.
- In a bowl, mash the chicken so it's shredded. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Place tortillas on a paper towel and warm for one minute in the microwave.
- Place about a spoonful of chicken mixture inside the tortilla, and shape into a tortilla.
- Put a muffin tin upside down, and place the taco in between two muffin holders (see picture) to help keep its shape.
- Repeat until all tacos are formed.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until tortillas and chicken start to crisp and are heated throughout.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 960 Total Fat: 44g Saturated Fat: 19g Cholesterol: 346mg Sodium: 1866mg Carbohydrates: 10g Sugar: 4g Protein: 126g
All we ask is that you be kind. We welcome differing opinions, but any comments containing personal attacks, sarcasm, etc. will be removed immediately. Keyboard warriors aren’t welcome 🙂 All comments are moderated and may take time to be approved. Anything not pertaining specifically to the content of a post will be removed (including comments about ads).