A quick and easy lunch, snack or appetizer — mini shredded chicken tacos. Filled with shredded chicken, a blend of spices, and cheese, these will easily be a huge hit for even the pickiest eater!
My mom used to buy these mini tacos from Costco that I absolutely loved. They weren’t exactly the healthiest snack, but I enjoyed having them for my “after school snack” (did anyone else look forward to those all day?)
Now whenever I go to Costco and I see the same box, I’m still tempted to buy it. However, the frugal/trying to be healthier side of me stops me. But the other day, I was really wanting some. I mean, it was kind of ridiculous. But, I didn’t want to go to the store just to buy this silly little treat.
So, I decided to make my own.
I thought to myself…how hard could it be? The mini tacos from the store were always kind of greasy, so I wanted to eliminate that aspect, but I figured it required a few ingredients (all of which I had in my pantry) and wouldn’t be too hard to assemble.
And they weren’t! I took several corn tortillas and made smaller tortillas out of them — it’s kind of confusing to explain, so here are some pictures. Basically, I placed a drinking glass on the corn tortilla firmly, and just gently tore away the corn tortilla around the glass, leaving a nice, smaller tortilla.
After that, I made a simple chicken mixture, and I made the tacos. To bake them (and ensure they didn’t lose their taco shape) I put them in an upside down muffin tin. Genius, I know.
About 15 minutes later, they were done…and we were all happy. Jack loved them because they were tiny enough for his little hands, and I loved them…because, well, they were delicious! This is definitely a yummy appetizer, or even lunch idea, that I think everyone can enjoy. You can change the spices to be customize for your taste palate, too. I think it would be fun to do this with shredded beef — just to mix things up!
Mini Shredded Chicken Tacos #AppetizerWeek #Savorx
- 9 corn tortillas or enough to create 18 small tortillas
- 1 can chicken 12.5 ounces
- About 1/2 cup Salsa Verde any variety
- 1/2 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a medium-sized cup, press firmly on one corn tortilla (as close to the edge as possible) and remove the tortilla around the cup, leaving a smaller tortilla (see pictures for tutorial). Repeat until you have 18 small tortillas.
- In a bowl, mash the chicken so it's shredded. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Place tortillas on a paper towel and warm for one minute in the microwave.
- Place about a spoonful of chicken mixture inside the tortilla, and shape into a tortilla.
- Put a muffin tin upside down, and place the taco in between two muffin holders (see picture) to help keep its shape.
- Repeat until all tacos are formed.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until tortillas and chicken start to crisp and are heated throughout.
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com