Every kid’s favorite dessert (at least at my house) has to be Rice Krispie treats!
The ingredients for this family favorite are easy to keep on hand, and I have found generic crisp rice cereal and marshmallows work just as well as the name brands. I’ve developed a couple of tweaks to the original recipe that I feel make the whole process a little simpler and the finished product yummier.
My first tip is to use real butter (not margarine) and more of it and extra marshmallows– the more buttery the better in my opinion.
The second tip is to spread the mixture into a greased jelly roll pan using wax paper. Be sure and use cooking spray on the wax paper first. For years I would try different methods to best get that gooey mixture into the pan but whether I was using a wooden spoon, rubber spatula or just greasing my hands with baking spray I was always discouraged by the messiness and slowness of the process. It’s surprising how much faster and easier good old fashioned wax paper is!
Here is the recipe:
The Best Rice Krispies Recipe
- 1 16 oz bag mini marshmallows
- ¾ stick butter—softened to room temp and cut into three pieces
- 8 C crisp rice cereal
- Combine marshmallows and butter in large microwave safe bowl. Cook on high for two mins. Stir, Heat at 50 percent power in one min increments, stirring after each time, until fully melted.
- Add rice cereal and mix thoroughly with a greased wooden spoon
- Dump onto greased cookie sheet, or if you prefer, use parchment paper. Tear off a piece of wax paper, spray it with cooking spray, and use it to spread mixture over entire cookie sheet.
- Your bars will be ready to eat in no time, but if you are going to stack them on a plate you will need to wait a couple of hours before you cut them.
- **Optional Add-Ins: ½ bag chocolate or butterscotch chips, or food coloring, may be added after cereal
- is fully mixed in.