Are you looking for the best Rice Krispy Treats recipe ever?! This recipe couldn’t be easier, and our two extra tips will take your Rice Krispy treats from yum to AMAZING.
Recipes Rice Krispy TreatsOriginally written in 2016; updated in 2019 Every kid’s favorite dessert (at least at my house) has to be Rice Krispie treats! The ingredients for this family favorite are easy to keep on hand, and I have found generic crisp rice cereal and marshmallows work just as well as the name brands. I’ve developed a couple of tweaks to the original recipe that I feel make the whole process a little simpler and the finished product yummier.
Tip #1:My first tip is to use real butter (not margarine) and more of it and extra marshmallows– the more buttery the better in my opinion.
Tip #2The second tip is to spread the mixture into a greased jelly roll pan using wax paper. Be sure and use cooking spray on the wax paper first.For years I would try different methods to best get that gooey mixture into the pan but whether I was using a wooden spoon, rubber spatula or just greasing my hands with baking spray I was always discouraged by the messiness and slowness of the process. It’s surprising how much faster and easier good old fashioned wax paper is!If you want another option, silicone baking mats produce equally great results.
FAQHow can I make these dairy free? I have not personally made these dairy free. However, my friend Megan has a great recipe for Allergy-Friendly Rice Krispies (Top 8 Free!), which means they are dairy free. Are these gluten-free? This will depend entirely on the crispy rice cereal that you pay. Name brand Rice Krispies are NOT gluten free due to the malt that is in them. However, there are gluten-free versions of crispy rice cereal. Make sure you read the label!Can I use less butter? You can, but I wouldn’t recommend cutting down too much. Can I use regular sized marshmallows? Don’t tell anyone, but we have! Mini marshmallows are a little easier to melt and work with, but you can definitely use regular sized ones. Variation ideas? The sky is the limit! You can add all sorts of mixins – butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, pecans, fruit…or you could even use a different kind of cereal like Lucky Charms, Fruity Pebbles, or Cocoa Pebbles!
Best Rice Krispie Treats RecipePrintable version available belowEquipment Needed:Large, microwave-safe bowlRubber spatulaJelly Rolly PanParchment Paper or Silicone Baking MatIngredients:
- 16-ounce bag mini marshmallows
- 3/4 stick butter – softened to room temperature and cut into three pieces
- 8 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 16 oz bag mini marshmallows
- ¾ stick butter—softened to room temp and cut into three pieces
- 8 C crisp rice cereal
- Combine marshmallows and butter in large microwave safe bowl. Cook on high for two mins. Stir, Heat at 50 percent power in one min increments, stirring after each time, until fully melted.
- Add rice cereal and mix thoroughly with a greased wooden spoon
- Dump onto greased cookie sheet, or if you prefer, use parchment paper. Tear off a piece of wax paper, spray it with cooking spray, and use it to spread mixture over entire cookie sheet.
- Your bars will be ready to eat in no time, but if you are going to stack them on a plate you will need to wait a couple of hours before you cut them.
- **Optional Add-Ins: ½ bag chocolate or butterscotch chips, or food coloring, may be added after cereal
- is fully mixed in.