I’ve been on the search for the best homemade wheat sandwich bread recipe for awhile now.
While I’ve come to close to it, I have yet to find a recipe I truly feel can fulfill our sandwich bread needs.
A few weeks ago, I put out a call on Facebook for any recipes people had. Someone suggested a Milk and Honey White bread from the Slow Roasted Italian.
It looked delicious – but since I was looking for a wheat bread recipe, I didn’t want to try it out (in fear that I might love it too much).
However, the idea of a milk and honey bread intrigued me, so I decided to make a wheat version.
It was so good! While I don’t think it’s our perfect sandwich bread recipe, it is a recipe I plan to make in the future again. It’s very fluffy and delicious.
I’d like to try it with all whole wheat flour some time, however, I wanted to change the flour out slowly, which is why it’s half and half here. I think it was pretty successful!
Especially when slathered in raspberry jam!
Bread making have you baffled? Make sure to check out this post for the best bread making tips!
- 4 ½ teaspoons active yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted (a little extra for greasing bowl)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole wheat cups all-purpose flour
- Add yeast, milk, and honey to the bowl of a stand mixer. Dissolve yeast and let it sit for about five minutes.
- Add butter and egg and 1.5 cups all-purpose flour and 1.5 cups whole wheat flour. Add salt.
- Mix using a dough hook until smooth. Add more flour until you have a soft dough that isn't overly sticky and bounces back when you touch it. Alternate with white and whole wheat flour until you reach the desired consistency.
- Knead for about five minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth and allow it to double.
- Punch down dough and remove from bowl.
- Shape into two loaves and place in a greased loaf pans.
- Cover and allow dough to rise until doubled again.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush tops with melted butter.
- Turn onto a floured board; knead about 10 turns. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or so.
Adapted from www.theslowroasteditalian.com/2011/07/milk-and-honey-white-bread.html
Katie is a Colorado-native, BYU graduated, and most importantly, wife to one and mother to three beautiful boys. She is passionate about sharing her experiences with others – especially about pregnancy, breastfeeding, cooking, and crafts. She is currently training to be a Certified Lactation Educator. She loves spending time with her family and helping others find joy in family life.