Perfect for those busy mornings, these healthy breakfast burritos are super tasty and full of ingredients that will give your morning a jump start, and a easy to freeze for a quick meal. Seasoned sweet potatoes, turkey sausage links, eggs, and wheat tortillas make this a winning breakfast.
One of the first recipes I shared on Clarks Condensed were these freezer breakfast burritos, and I’ve kind of been surprised at their popularity. The picture aren’t that great, and I don’t think they look particularly appetizing…but apparently people liked them!
In an attempt to be healthier, I decided to make a new version of those freezer breakfast burritos, and just healthy them up a little bit. I swapped out white tortillas for wheat tortillas, sweet potatoes for regular potatoes, and Jimmy Dean turkey sausage links for pork sausage. I thought about just using egg whites, but I didn’t want to do anything too crazy 😉
And the verdict? So yummy! I know I say that about every recipe I post, but truly, would you want me posting a recipe that I didn’t think was yummy?!
To be honest, I liked these ones so much better than the other ones. Don’t get me wrong — the other ones are delicious too, but these just had a slightly better taste, and they do taste healthier (in a good way). They are super easy to freeze, and only take less than two minutes to heat up in the microwave. Perfect for a breakfast on the go, or for those mornings you don’t feel like making anything else (so, pretty much every day in my case!)
I think the all star ingredient in these are the sweet potatoes. Now, if you don’t like sweet potatoes, or have never tried them…I highly recommend trying them how I prepped them for these burritos. They are perfectly seasoned, sweet, and can be made in the microwave. If you have a good knife (we recently purchased this set and love them) that makes all the difference when dicing sweet potatoes. And that’s the hardest part!
NEVER Miss Another Recipe!
Sign up for our food and recipe newsletter today
- Free eRecipeBook upon signup
- Free Meal Planning Bundle
- Easy and Family Friendly Recipes EVERYONE Will Love!
They do take some time to assembled — you’ve got to make the potatoes, and cook the eggs:
However, once you get those things done, all you have to do is throw all the ingredients into the pan you made the eggs in (make sure you use a large skillet!), heat, and then assemble!
I mention a seasoning called Celestial Seasonings Spicy Southwest. Here’s a picture, but if you can’t find it, feel free to use whatever spicy seasoning you want!
And if you want to freeze them follow these easy instructions:
- Fold burritos and place on a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet
- Place in the freezer for two hours for a “flash freeze”
- Remove from freezer and wrap tightly in plastic wrap
- Place plastic wrapped burritos in a gallon sized freezer bag
- Place in freezer
- When you want to reheat them, remove plastic, place on a piece of paper towel, and cook for 1:30 – 2 minutes.
- 1 1/2 cups of diced sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon Celestial Seasonings Spicy Southwest seasoning or another spicy seasoning
- Pour coconut oil on sweet potatoes and stir.
- Add in seasoning and stir again.
- Place in microwave for 2.5 minutes. Remove and stir.
- Microwave for an additional 2.5 minutes, or until soft.
All we ask is that you be kind. We welcome differing opinions, but any comments containing personal attacks, sarcasm, etc. will be removed immediately. Keyboard warriors aren’t welcome 🙂 All comments are moderated and may take time to be approved. Anything not pertaining specifically to the content of a post will be removed (including comments about ads).