For as long as I can remember, my mom has made a recipe that was called “yummy potatoes.” It wasn’t until I was in my teens that I realized most people referred to similar recipes as funeral potatoes. I feel like I’ve seen a million different recipes for these (there’s even a book about them) — everyone changes it up a little bit — but my mom’s are definitely my favorite.
These are a fun thing to serve at Thanksgiving or Christmas, because you can easily prepare them the night before, and really don’t require a whole lot of effort. And, they are super addictive. In fact, I feel like the most accurate name for these would be crack potatoes. Because you really can’t have just one serving.
It’s full of dairy and other things that a person with a lactose intolerance shouldn’t have (though it can easily be adapted to be lactose free!) but it’s so good, that I don’t really care! I love eating these with BBQ pork roast and my quick sweet dinner rolls, and mopping up the extra juices with the potatoes.
This recipe is AMAZING with:
Yummy Potatoes (aka, Funeral Potatoes)
- 1 8 ounce container sour cream
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- Two pound package frozen diced hashbrowns
- 1 cup Kraft Monterrey Jack shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Combine sour cream, cream of chicken, and melted butter on a large bowl.
- Add hash browns, grated cheese, and chopped onions. Stir well.
- Add a shake of salt and pepper.
- Pour into a 9x13 pan.
- Covered with buttered bread crumbs.
- Bake for 60 minutes, unless made the night before -- then cook for 45 minutes.
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com