Creamed corn is a traditional side dish perfect for all times of the year – this easy creamed corn recipe is one of the best around, and your guests will be begging for more!
Cream Corn Recipe
Although my maternal grandparents have always lived over 1,000 miles away, I’ve always felt close to them. They would always travel to important events, come down for various holidays, and made an effort to visit sometime during the summer. It’s not as easy for them to do this anymore, because of my grandmother’s Alzheimers, but I have so many fond memories of spending time with them. I always knew that family was a number one priority to them.
Whenever they’d come to visit, my grandpa would often like to buy a special dinner for us one night. Often it was pizza, but he would also get fried chicken for us sometimes as well. I’m not usually a fried chicken kind of person, but it always seemed to taste better when he bought it. This July, we are traveling to Northern Idaho to help celebrate his birthday with him, and at this birthday celebration guess what we are having – Fried chicken!
So we decided to try out some new side dishes before we left that we could wow everyone with up there.
My mom offered to make some french fries and slice up some honeydew melon for the dinner, so I decided to try out a new side dish recipe – creamed corn. When I was a freshman in college, we had dinner at one of my roommate’s parent’s house, and her mother made creamed corn. It was one of the most delicious things I’d ever had. Up until that point, I’d never had creamed corn, and to be honest…I hadn’t had it since. However, I thought that creamed corn would be a fun recipe to go to the fried chicken. I looked around at a bunch of different recipes online, and then I just kind of made my version up.
It turned out super delicious. It didn’t take very long to prepare, but the flavors were great – I used half and half instead of cream, but it was still really creamy, and I also added some leftover shredded parmesan cheese, which really gave it some delicious flavor. Everyone seemed to really enjoy it!
I was a little worried at first, because the corn boiled over as I stepped away for a few minutes. I wasn’t used to my parent’s stove, which apparently boils a lot quicker than ours. The smoke detector went off, and I was worried that it had burnt the corn…but fortunately, that wasn’t the case, and I was able to successfully make this dish. A lot of creamed corn recipes just say to make it on the stove top, but I put it in the oven for 15ish minutes, and I think that really was the finishing touch.
Whether you are having a picnic with family, or you are just looking for a tasty and quick dinner, be sure to try this easy creamed corn recipe paired with fried chicken. It’s comfort food at it’s finest. Walmart has a great selection of fried chicken in their Deli section, and the prices are excellent!
Cream Corn Side Dish
Easy Creamed Corn Recipe
- 16 ounces frozen sweet corn
- 2 cups half and half
- 3 tablespoons Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place frozen corn into a large sauce pan with the two cups of half and half. Bring to a boil, and then immediately bring down to a medium heat and cover until cooked (about 4-5 minutes.)
- Slowly whisk in the cornbread mix and whisk until thickened.
- After thickened, mix in brown sugar, as well as some pepper and salt to taste.
- Mix in parmesan cheese until melted.
- Pour into an 8x8 baking dish and bake 15-20 minutes.
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com