With all this talk about living a healthier lifestyle, I decided to share my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. Not because it’s super healthy, but to emphasize that I believe there’s moderation in all things…and that means being able to indulge every now and then with a delicious, buttery and chocolate-y cookie.
My mom started making this recipe along time ago, and it’s been a favorite in our family. My mom always makes it every time we come to town, and I always like making these cookies to take to people. I wish I could say they were foolproof, but really, they kind of turn out differently every time you make them. Most of the time (like, 98.8% of the time) they taste delicious and amazing…but then there’s other times where something like this happens:
Though, in defense of the recipe, I’m pretty sure I must have measured something wrong. Which is entirely likely, since all my 1 cup measuring cups were dirty, and I was determined to use 1/4 and 1/3 cups instead…and I tend to get distracted easily.
But don’t let that deter you. These cookies are so good. And even though I usually just like using butter in cookies, the shortening is essential to the success of these cookies — and not just any shortening. It has to be butter flavored shortening.
I made these cookies using the Hamilton Beach Soft Scrape 6 Speed Hand Mixer. It is the BEST hand mixer I’ve ever used. Most other hand mixers we’ve owned have been kind of cheap, but this one feels really solid, and mixes things up really fast. The best part are the soft scrap beaters, which makes mixing even easier. I was sent this mixer from Hamilton Beach to try out, and I’m a huge fan.
We were also sent the Hamilton Beach 6 Speed Stand Mixer, which is really nice as well. It has the same mixing power as a KitchenAid, but at a lot more affordable price. If you are a baker, definitely consider buying one of these (especially the hand mixer. I can’t talk about it enough!) These would be a great Mother’s Day Gift. And…if you’re feeling lucky, you can enter the giveaway below to win one of these!
Anyways, these cookies are easy to throw together. You don’t need to chill the dough at all, and they are really tasty. Forrest said that the taste is pretty unique (but delicious), and I think it’s the best chocolate chip cookie recipe I’ve ever tried. I hope you enjoy them!
My Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe (and Giveaway!)
- 1 cup butter flavored Crisco
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 12 oz. bag milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream first five ingredients until light and fluffy (about 30 seconds).
- Add dry ingredients and chocolate chips and mix into creamed mixture.
- Place by the tablespoon on an ungreased cookie sheet or silicone baking mat.
- Bake 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes, and then transfer to paper towels to cool completely.
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com