- 1 14 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of diced sweet potatoes
- 1/8 olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup oats, ground up in a food processor into a coarse powder
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- Hamburger buns and desired toppings
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Toss diced sweet potatoes with olive oil, cayenne, and garlic powder.
- Spread on a cookie sheet, and bake about 30 minutes, or until soft.
- In a food processor, process onion and garlic until they are in small pieces and combined. Set aside.
- Place black beans and sweet potatoes in a medium sized bowl and mash with a potato masher until no big chunks remain and it looks well combined.
- Add in oats, onion/garlic,and sriracha. Mix until combined.
- Place in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Form patties.
- Cook in desired method:
- Place patties on a foil-lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes.
- Heat olive oil over high heat, and cook black bean burgers until they are firm and start to darken on each side (about 5 minutes on each side.)
- Place patties on a piece of tin foil, place tin foil on grill, and grill until they start to brown on each side.
Katie is a Colorado-native, BYU graduated, and most importantly, wife to one and mother to three beautiful boys. She is passionate about sharing her experiences with others – especially about pregnancy, breastfeeding, cooking, and crafts. She is currently training to be a Certified Lactation Educator. She loves spending time with her family and helping others find joy in family life.