The center of any great BBQ is the classic potato salad – this recipe has all the traditional flavors of a potato salad, with a few fun twists — bacon and parmesan cheese!
Mmm, I love potato salad! I don’t think any BBQ is complete without a delicious, creamy potato salad, and if one isn’t on the menu, I’m always the first to volunteer to make one.
Awhile back, I mentioned that I signed up for Top Chef University. I’m slowly but surely making it through and learning all sorts of awesome new tips and recipes. One of the lessons was about potatoes, and I learned that red potatoes are great for potato salads. Red potatoes happen to my favorite type of potato…so of course, I was on board with that. Right after that lesson, I decided to try the recipe they listed for a classic potato salad, put my own little twist on it.
We didn’t have any dairy-free sour cream on hand, so I decided to omit that and upped the mayonnaise. I also added some parmesan cheese, dill, and turkey bacon (though feel free to use regular bacon.) I think those ingredients added some delicious flavor, and I can’t wait to share the recipe with you.
For more fantastic side dishes for Memorial Day, be sure to follow our side dish board on Pinterest!
- 5 medium-sized red potatoes
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 pieces of cooked and crumbled turkey bacon or regular bacon
- Peel potatoes and cut in half. Place into a bot of boiling water and boil until you can easily put a knife through it (about 20-25 minutes.)
- Drain and set aside potatoes. resistance. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine mayo, mustard, and olive oil.
- Stir in celery and onions, and season with salt and pepper and dill.
- Add potatoes and coarsely mash everything together.
- Add bacon and sliced hard boiled eggs right before serving.
Katie is a Colorado-native, BYU graduated, and most importantly, wife to one and mother to three beautiful boys. She is passionate about sharing her experiences with others – especially about pregnancy, breastfeeding, cooking, and crafts. She is an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. She loves spending time with her family and helping others find joy in family life.