The other day, we realized we had almost all the ingredients, and since it was a slightly cooler evening, I thought I should make it. Sadly, we didn’t have any cheese tortellini, but, we did have a package of Buitoni Crab Ravioli, and I thought it was an excellent alternative. I also used my new fresh spices, which really enhanced the flavor a lot.
I think I like this soup so much because it’s different than the typical soups I eat. Of course, I think sausage makes anything better, but the addition of the ravioli (or tortellini) and fresh vegetables makes it a knockout.
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 6 cups of beef stock
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 zuchinni, chopped
- 8 ounces ravioli or tortellini
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 tablespoon Parsley
- Parmesan Cheese, for topping
- In a large pot, brown sausage. Drain fat and add onions and garlic and saute for about five minutes.
- To the large pot, add the beef stock, water, carrots, basil, oregano, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to low. Simmer for about 30 minutes, and skim any fat that appears.
- After 30 minutes, add zucchini, ravioli, green pepper, red pepper, and parsley. Simmer for about 10 minutes, making sure the pasta is fully cooked.