If you love lasagna, you’ll LOVE this low carb skinny lasagna soup recipe. Traditional lasagna noodles are substituted with zucchini, but it doesn’t make it any less delicious – the creamy soup, along with two different cheeses and zesty sausage make this a dish you’ll want to eat over and over again.
Low Carb Lasagna Soup
- 1/2 pound Italian Sausage
- 4 cups chicken broth make sure it's low sodium
- 2 cups water
- 2 large zucchinis
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or heavy cream
- Mozzarella cheese for topping
- Cook and crumble sausage. Drain excess grease and set aside.
- Slice thin slices of zucchini - using a mandolin makes this easier, but you can use a sharp knife as well.
- Bring water and chicken broth to a boil in a large pot.
- Add zucchini and boil for five minutes.
- Lower temperature to medium and add tomato sauce, coconut milk, and seasoning. Let cook about 2 minutes.
- Add seasonings and parmesan cheese.
- Let simmer 10 minutes.
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
Awhile back I asked our Facebook followers for some quick and easy dinner ideas. A few people suggested lasagna soup, and the idea intrigued me. I mean, I love lasagna. Our easy meat lasagna recipe is easily one of our most popular recipes (especially if you pair it with a homemade baguette.) However, I wasn’t so sure how I felt about it in soup form.
So, I searched out Pinterest for different recipes, and I came across a bunch of different ones. Surprisingly – they all sounded delicious. I figured it was worth trying! However, the day I planned to have it, I wasn’t feeling like pasta…it just sounded too heavy. Then I remembered how much I enjoyed this zucchini lasagna recipe, and I thought it might be fun to kind of experiment and make this more of a low carb lasagna soup recipe.
It turned out really yummy, and it didn’t take much time at all to make. The most laborious part was slicing the zucchinis, but using our mandolin (we got it for our wedding, and I thought it was so random. Turns out we use it a lot) made it a lot easier. The one I linked to is only around $8! I’d say you could make this is 30 minutes or less.
I will say that I highly recommend using low sodium chicken broth. It was a little saltier than Forrest and I usually like things (though we really don’t like anything to be salty at all), and since I didn’t add any salt, I definitely attribute that to the salt in the chicken broth. So definitely use low sodium.
Overall though, it was great – the flavor tasted just like lasagna…just in soup form – and it was very creamy. We will definitely be making this one again. You can totally use regular lasagna noodles, but I feel like the zucchini was great and a nice texture.
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com