For those nights when you are craving enchiladas, but not all the prep, these one dish skillet chicken enchiladas are sure to be a hit. Filled with cheese, chicken, onions, enchilada sauce, and more, they are prepared and ready to go in less than 30 minutes.
Chicken enchiladas are one of my favorite foods — especially this recipe. And even though they are super easy, there are some days I’m craving them, but don’t want to go through the various steps, and dirty up multiple dishes. So, the other day, I decided to make skillet chicken enchiladas.
I just went into the pantry and grabbed all the ingredients I needed (and took a few out of the refrigerator) and just started experimenting. There were a few times I wasn’t sure it was going to work out…but in the end, it was more delicious than I could have imagined at first. Forrest took a few bites and said, “This is really, really good!”
This dish literally only takes one dish. It does need to be an oven save skillet — if you have a cast iron skillet (which you should) — use that. It’s done in about 20 minutes (or less) and has all the essential flavors a yummy chicken enchilada needs — chicken, cheese, green chili enchilada sauce…the works! And, as a side note, I think one of the best things you can invest in for a cast iron skillet is a silicone hot handle holder…so nice for transferring hot pans to the oven!
I threw in a few handfuls of freeze dried onions and red and green peppers from THRIVE. I recently purchased a few canisters of food storage from the company, and it is one of my very favorite ways to save money and time when it comes to cooking. I purchased a can of freeze dried mushrooms, one of mixed red and green peppers, and then one of onions. While you can dehydrate them before cooking with them, if I’m making something with liquid in it, I just throw it in, and they re hydrate that way. It makes it so much easier when cooking, because I don’t have to go through the trouble of cutting vegetables (hate this job!) and we never have half-used vegetables go moldy in the refrigerator because we forget about them.
From now on, we will be having an on-going online Thrive Life party, in case you want to purchase any Thrive products. If you set up an account through my party, you’ll get the best discount. You can find out more information about Thrive and how to purchase through my party here. I absolutely love having these products in my pantry, not only for every day cooking, but for food storage too. We literally use ours every day in regular cooking (this isn’t a sponsored post or anything — I just like to share my tips for quicker cooking!) This month (April 2014) they have their vegetable package on sale…I want to get it so much!
- 5 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/4 cup red and green peppers
- 1 10 ounce can green chili enchilada sauce
- 1 12.5 ounce canned chicken
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1 cup Kraft Colby Monterrey Jack Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Tear tortillas into smaller pieces (about 6-8 pieces per tortillas.)
- In a cast iron skillet (or other oven safe skillet) lightly fry the tortillas in the olive oil until they start to crisp up.
- Add chicken, onions, peppers, and garlic and Italian seasoning. Cook for a few minutes, breaking up the chicken as you cook it.
- Pour enchilada sauce and 1/2 cup cheese into the skillet, and stir.
- Let simmer 2 minutes.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top and cover for 3 minutes (heat on medium-high.)
- Remove cover and carefully place the skillet in the oven to cook for 5-7 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 1018 Total Fat: 66g Saturated Fat: 31g Cholesterol: 222mg Sodium: 2523mg Carbohydrates: 15g Sugar: 8g Protein: 85g
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com