Have you ever had a monster cookie? Because if not…you need to! These M&M monster cookies are gluten free, and they are so easy to make!
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup 4 ounces brown sugar
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups rolled oats, gluten free
- 2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup M&Ms
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or use a silicone baking mat.
- Beat together all ingredients except for the rolled oats, M&Ms, and chocolate chips. Beat until fluffy.
- Add remaining ingredients and scoop 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons of dough onto cookie sheet.
- Place 2-3 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
- Cool for 2-3 minutes on baking sheet and then cool completely on a cookie rack.
Since we’ve had to put Jack on a gluten free diet, I’d say the biggest hurdle has been with gluten free baking. To put it simply – it’s been hard! I’ve been in the kitchen a lot more lately, trying to come up with the right blend of ingredients to make some of our recipes at least somewhat resembled their gluten-filled counterparts.
Someone who has been a great resource for me is Brianna from Flippin’ Delicious. She is entirely gluten free, and I’ve gone to her a few times with different questions, and she always gives me helpful advice. When I saw she was releasing a cookbook all about gluten free cookies (and brownies),The Essential Gluten Free Cookie Guide, I was SO excited. So I was even more excited when she asked if I would review it and share my favorite recipe with you all.
Of course, I jumped right on the opportunity, and I couldn’t wait to dig into the book. When it arrived, I told Jack it had all sorts of cookies that he could have, and he proudly called the book his “cookie book” from then on. One of Jack and mine’s favorite activities is baking together, so we couldn’t wait to pick out a few recipes to try. As you can probably tell, he was very excited to test these monster cookies.
If there’s one thing I’ve learned with gluten free baking, is that just because one flour blend works great for something…doesn’t mean it will always pan out. For instance, I LOVE using either Namaste’s Perfect Flour Blend or Pamela’s Gluten Free Artisan Flour Blend in a lot of recipes, but I quickly realized that you really can’t just substitute it in any recipe that calls for wheat flour and assume it will turn out. Because, take it from me, this is not the always the case. I’ve found that with most recipes, I need to use less when I’m substituting, or else the batter/dough gets dry and dense.
If a recipe calls for a certain blend of flours – use them. More than likely, the recipe’s developer has come up with that blend through a lot of trial and error. So in Brianna’s cook book, The Essential Gluten Free Cookie Guide, when she tells you to use the flour blend she came up with it – use it (or else you’ll be like me and end up with something that tastes “ok” but not “amazing.” The blend she suggests makes all the difference.)
With that said, I decided to share a recipe from her cook book that doesn’t require any random flour mixtures – in fact, you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry. When you are first entering the gluten free world, I think it’s best to dip your toes in first, rather than jumping head first. These cookies are a great “entry” baked good – and, the best part is – everyone will enjoy them! After eating a few, Forrest said, “These cookies are really good. Unfortunately.” I couldn’t agree more. We used mini m&ms, but I think these would taste great with Reese’s Pieces, walnuts, or any other delicious ingredient you can think of!
And be sure to get a copy of Brianna’s cook book. You won’t regret it! There are so many easy and family friendly recipes in it, I know I’ll be using mine for years to come.
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com