Are you looking for a Fourth of July dessert recipe that reminds you of fireworks?! Be sure to check out these firecracker Fourth of July cupcakes. The secret ingredient in the frosting is something your guests will love!
Fourth of July Cupcake Recipe
- 1 box vanilla cake mix**
- 1 small bag of red Pop Rocks
- 1 small bag of Blue Pop Rocks
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2.5 cups powdered sugar
- 2.5 sticks butter softened
- Prepare vanilla cake mix according to box instructions for cupcakes. Let cool completely before cooling.
- Combine all ingredients (except for pop rocks) in a bowl and mix with a hand mixer or stand mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Divide buttercream into two different bowls. Mix blue pop rocks in with one bowl and red with another.
- Frost cupcakes and enjoy!
I always enjoy Fourth of July – it’s a great reason to celebrate the freedoms we enjoy, those who protect them for us, as well as to enjoy some fun time outdoors BBQ’ing, swimming, and watching fireworks!
Last year we were visiting my sister in Rexburg, and we had so much fun going to a local parade and then watching fireworks on her trampoline. The summer before that, we were visiting my parents in Colorado, and we enjoyed a yummy breakfast with a bunch of family members.
This year we are going to be in Lewiston, Idaho, visiting my grandparents and to help celebrate my grandpa’s birthday. It’s quite a long drive up there, but we are getting really excited to go. It will be a fun weekend with my parents, little brother, and a few other members of our extended family.
Wherever we end up spending Fourth of July, without a doubt there will be yummy food. We typically have the “traditional” fare of hotdogs, hamburgers, and potato salad, along with fresh fruit like watermelon. However, the highlight for me is always the dessert. I enjoy coming up with a fun and yummy idea that is patriotic (last year I loved making this Red, White and Blue Fruit Pizza – so yummy.)
A few days ago, I decided to try and experiment with a few ideas, and I came up with this firecracker cupcakes. Why are their firecracker? Well, the frosting has red and blue pop rocks in them! I tried putting them in the batter as well, but that didn’t work out as well. But the pop rocks in the frosting were a fun surprise. I just made these with a vanilla cake mix (though I doctored it up a little bit by using butter instead of oil, and one more egg than the recipe called for), but the frosting was to DIE for! Seriously so yummy.
So if you are looking for a tasty Fourth of July dessert recipe, definitely consider this one! We made them when my brother’s family came over, and they disappeared quickly!
Here’s another great Fourth of July recipe that uses Pop Rocks – Red, White, and Blue Popcorn!
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com