One of my favorite Halloween treats my mom made growing up was dirt and worms. I always loved the delicious pudding, oreo crumbs, and gummy worms, even if it wasn’t the healthiest treat around. My mom usually would make it in a 9×13 glass baking dish, and I’ve seen plenty of people make individual sized dirt and worm desserts using plastic cups.
I thought it would be fun to make it into more of a pudding pie, using homemade pudding! TruMoo asked me to create a fun, family-friendly Halloween dessert using their limited edition TruMoo Orange Scream milk. It’s basically orange creamsicle flavor, and it turned out to be a great based for a simple, delicious pudding recipe.
Even though Jack couldn’t have more than a couple tastes of it, he sure enjoyed helping me make it! The orange color of the TruMoo milk made this dirt and worm pudding pie look even more Halloween-ish. When Forrest ran to the store to buy some of the ingredients I needed, he thought that Oreo pie crusts would be great for both the bottom crust of the pie, as well as for the topping. I think it turned out great!
Dirt and Worms Pudding Pie
- *Pudding Recipe*
- 2 1/4 Cups TruMoo Orange Scream Milk or chocolate milk if you can't find this
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter room temperature and cut into small pieces
- *Rest of the Pie*
- 1/2 cup cool whip
- About 10-15 gummy worms
- Two Oreo pie crusts
- Place sugar, corn starch, and salt into a medium-sized sauce pan. Whisk until mixed well.
- Pour in the milk. Stir again until clumps dissolve
- Place on a stove top, and turn the heat to medium-heat. For about 10-15 minutes, occasionally stir the mixture until it starts to thicken (not super thick, but enough that it doesn't look or feel soupy)
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and butter - mix until dissolved.
- Pour into a container. Lightly press plastic wrap onto the top of the pudding so a film doesn't appear.
- Put in the refrigerator for about two hours, or until it reaches the desired thickness.
- After two or three hours, remove from refrigerator and fold in 1/2 cup cool whip.
- Open one of the Oreo pie crusts, and pour the pudding into it evenly.
- Crumble the other Oreo pie crust over the top of the pudding. Then, place the worms throughout.
- Refrigerate when not eating, and enjoy!