This strawberry shortcake bread pudding takes all the flavors that everyone loves from a traditional strawberry shortcake and combines them in to one amazing bite. This strawberry dessert should most definitely be made for all parties this summer! Dairy free options listed.
Taking pictures of bread pudding is hard — just so you know. If you have seen any of our previous bread pudding recipes, you’ll probably agree — no matter how delicious bread pudding is, it’s hard to make it look appetizing! I’m not even going to link to those recipes, because they look totally disgusting (I need to redo those sometime . . .)
So, I think it took me longer to take pictures of this, than it did to actually make it! On one hand, that’s a good thing — it means this recipe is pretty easy. On the other hand, it makes me really hope these pictures look good enough that people want to make it! Because I’m on the fence. And if you are to, just trust me…this is a great recipe.
Anyways, despite it all, I really like bread pudding. I’m grateful that Forrest introduced me to it four years ago, and that I no longer thought it was a disgusting sounding dessert. Because it isn’t! I especially love how you can so easily come up with new variations of it, and it tastes like a totally new dessert.
This strawberry shortcake-inspired bread puddings is one of my favorites yet. I’m a big fan of strawberry shortcake, and this bread pudding puts all those fantastic flavors into one delicious bite.
I also have to say — the strawberries I used in this were fantastic. I think strawberry season is officially in full bloom. We buy strawberries on a regular basis, and they are usually so-so…but these ones? So yummy and full of flavor! They definitely made this strawberry bread pudding so much better.
We made this recipe mostly dairy free. The croissants had some butter in them, but dairy in baked goods don’t bother him. However, if you want to make it dairy free, just use bread that’s dairy free! We used coconut milk and Earth Balance butter in place of heavy cream and butter. But, if you don’t have a reason to make it dairy free, just follow the dairy ingredients as listed.
One of our favorite parts of this dessert is the strawberry whipped cream. This was Forrest’s idea, and it was so easy to make. I normally love whipped cream and the strawberry just makes it that much better. If you want to make dairy free whipped cream, just put a can of whipped cream in the refrigerator over night, open the can upside down when you are ready to use it, drain the liquid portion, and then whip the coconut cream like the recipe describes.
Strawberry Shortcake Bread Pudding
- 5-6 mini croissants day old (or other day old bread)
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk or 1 2/3 cups of heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 large strawberries chopped
- 1/4 cup butter or Earth Balance Buttery Spread, for dairy free
- 1 recipe of strawberry whipped cream see recipe below this one
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 8x8 cooking dish with cooking spray.
- Tear croissants into smaller pieces and put the torn bread on the bottom of the glass dish.
- Crack eggs into a small bowl and beat for about a minute with a whisk.
- Heat butter and coconut milk (or heavy cream) over medium-high heat until it reaches a light boil
- Add sugar, vanilla, eggs, vanilla, and strawberry, whisking the entire time (to prevent eggs from scrambling.)
- Bring back to a boil, and whisk for about 3-4 minutes.
- Immediately pour mixture evenly over the torn bread. Toss bread if needed to make even.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Let cool about 20 minutes.
- Spread strawberry whipped cream on top.
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com