When you think of road trip food, what comes to mind?
For me, it’s chicken salad sandwiches.
Kind of different, I know, from your typical road trip foods of beef jerky and chips. But it’s what my mom always made (and still does) whenever our family set out on a road trip. She always likes to joke that she makes them for lunch, but my dad has usually eaten one or two before we even get to the mountains.
Even though I don’t really go on road trips with my parent’s anymore, I’ve continued the tradition for when Forrest, Jack, and I hit the road. And let me tell you, it’s still as delicious as ever. For some reason, whenever I’m on the road, the thought of a nice, delicious chicken salad sandwich waiting for me in the cooler on a flaky croissant makes the road trip more bearable (and believe me, I go to great lengths to make those trips not miserable. I hate driving for long periods of time!)
So when we moved back to Utah, we wanted to avoid having to stop and eat for too many meals, since were leaving on a Sunday. Of course, I knew that making these chicken salad sandwiches would be the best option, and I was right! Much like my dad, we had a hard time waiting too long into our trip to dig in (though, in our defense, it was around lunch time!)
This recipe is a little different than the one my mom always made, but it’s just as good, and includes a few of the key ingredients — grapes, cashews, and croissants. I made it a little healthier by doing a half mayo-half Greek yogurt combo, and added some Parmesan cheese. I was a little nervous about how they would turn out, but I was pleasantly surprised with the yummy flavor.
These would also be yummy to make for a bridal or baby shower, or just for lunch any day!
- 1 can of Kirkland Canned Chicken (or 1 cup of shredded chicken)
- 1/2 container plain Chobani Greek Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonaise
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 10 grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup cashews (optional)
- Break chunks of chicken into shredded pieces with fork. Add remaining ingredients and mix together. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Serve on croissants or other slices of bread.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 643 Total Fat: 53g Saturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 9mg Sodium: 725mg Carbohydrates: 32g Sugar: 7g Protein: 16g
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com