If you are looking for the best homemade wheat sandwich bread, you’ve come to the right place. This is easy to make and absolutely delicious.
Making homemade sandwich bread is something that I always strive to do but end up falling short. As much as I love my multigrain bread recipe, it just isn’t great for sandwich bread. It usually turns out a little dense to be sandwich bread, in my opinion.
I’ve tried various other recipes with no luck. Then, I came across this recipe from Pulling Curls, and I knew I had to try it. It looked and sounded delicious, and it seemed pretty simple. I changed some of the ingredients, and it seriously turned out so good. I remember telling a few people afterwards that I had found the perfect sandwich bread recipe. And I still believe that to this day. It freezed and defrosted perfectly, and both the flavor and the texture was fantastic.
So if you are looking for the perfect sandwich bread recipe, this is it. It’s definitely not a gluten free bread recipe — in fact, you add gluten to it! Oh, and I wrote these instructions assuming you have a stand mixer, like a Kitchen Aid (like I have) or a Bosch. I could only make two loaves, which is what this recipe is sized for, in my Kitchen Aid!
Homemade Wheat Sandwich Bread
- 2.5 cups steaming hot water
- 2.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 2/3 cup wheat gluten
- 1.25 tablespoons instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup multigrain mixture I used 12 grain mix from bulkfoods.com. Be sure to let the grains soak for about 30 minutes in water.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1.25 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2.5 cups of flour white or wheat, or mixture
- Put hot water into mixer.
- Add 2.5 cups whole wheat flour, 1 cup white flour, the wheat gluten, and yeast.
- Mix using a paddle on low speed for about two minutes, then cover and let set for about 10 minutes.
- Remove paddle and use a dough hook on your mixer instead.
- Mix in salt, oil, brown sugar, and multigrain mixture.
- Then add honey and lemon juice and mix on low speed for about a minute.
- Add one 1/2 cup of flour at a time, until dough is smooth and not overly sticky
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees for a couple of minutes, and then turn off.
- Grease two bread pans, and then divide the dough equally into each. Press the dough into the corners to make sure everything is even.
- Making the oven is turned off, place into the oven for about 30 minutes, or until the dough has risen to the top of the pan.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com