Freezer Breakfast Burritos are perfect for busy mornings when you just don’t have time for breakfast! In this post, we share tips and tricks for making breakfast burritos – including different fillings!
How to Freeze Breakfast Burritos
While I was pregnant, and shortly after Jack was born, Forrest worked an early morning custodial job. To say it was miserable on many levels is probably the understatement of the year.
How to Make Frozen Breakfast Burritos
Breakfast Burrito Ingredients
The sky is the limit when it comes to making frozen breakfast burritos – you can do so many different types of fillings.
I always recommend having scrambled eggs, some kind of other protein, and some kind of vegetable. Here are some different variations on what you can use:
- Hash browns (square or shredded)
- Sweet Potatoes
- Sausage (pork or turkey)
- Bacon (pork or turkey)
- Black Beans
- Shredded cheese
You will need to use flour tortillas for these – you can use white flour tortillas, if you want them to be healthier, you can opt for multigrain or whole wheat. Make sure you get the burrito sized tortillas – if you are making them for smaller children, you can either cut them in half and freeze them that way, or you can get soft taco sized tortillas.
In addition to the ingredients, you will need:
Breakfast Burrito Assembly
You can read more details in the recipe at this end of post about how to cook all the ingredients, but here is a basic overview of assembly.
You want to make sure you let the filling cool completely to room temperature before you start assembling the breakfast burritos. This will prevent them from getting soggy.
Breakfast Burrito Recipes
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 1 bag frozen peppers and onions, or you can chop up 2 peppers and one onion
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded colby jack cheese, more if you'd like to top burritos with cheese
- Shredded Hashbrowns, optional
- 12 burrito sized flour tortillas
- Cook and crumble ground breakfast sausage.
- Drain excess grease and add peppers, onions, and black beans. Cook until heated through.
- Drain any excess liquid from that mixture.
- Scrambled eggs with salt and pepper, add cheese when about 2/3 of the way cooked.
- Mix together eggs with sausage mixture. Let cool to room temperature.
- Place a couple spoonfuls into the middle of each tortilla; fold.
- Place each burrito on a cookie sheet and flash freeze for two hours (you will need more than one cookie sheet, as they should be a single layer)
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag.
All we ask is that you be kind. We welcome differing opinions, but any comments containing personal attacks, sarcasm, etc. will be removed immediately. Keyboard warriors aren’t welcome 🙂 All comments are moderated and may take time to be approved. Anything not pertaining specifically to the content of a post will be removed (including comments about ads).