If you’re looking for a new and unique way to use your laser engraver, then you’ll want to try engraving tumblers! Tumblers are a fun and trendy way to drink your favorite beverages, and with a little bit of imagination, you can create some truly unique designs. In this blog post, we’ll show you how to use your laser engraver to create beautiful tumbler designs. So get ready to start crafting!
Tumblers are having a major moment right now. If you’ve been on TikTok or Instagram or inside of a Target store in the past year or so, I can almost guarantee you’ve seen moms promoting or walking around with their famous Stanley tumblers.
And for a good reason – they’re cute, they fit in most cup holders, they keep your water cold all day, and they’re perfect for your favorite Diet Coke concoctions (coconut and lime, anyone?). Yeti tumblers are a popular option too!
Here’s the thing though – with pretty much everyone and their mom walking around with a tumbler, it’s a little hard to stand out and be. unique! That’s where laser engravers come in.
There are so many ways to customize your tumbler cups using a laser engraving machine and really make them your own. You can even give them as gifts, sell them, or sell your engraving services for them! If you get really good at it, you could start a laser engraving business for tumblers.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
1. Use your laser engraver to add a personal message or design to the front or back of the stainless steel tumblers. This could be a short saying, initials, or anything else you can think of!
2. If you’re selling your tumblers or giving them as gifts, you could use the engraver to add a logo or branding to the cup. This is a great way to get your name out there and build brand recognition – you could even do work for a small shop if you would like.
4. Add some fun details like names, dates, or locations to commemorate a special event like a birthday, anniversary, or trip. This is an easy way to make each tumbler even more personal and special.
5. Engrave someone’s favorite quote on a cup! This is a good choice for the hard-to-shop-for people in your life. They’re sure to love the final product!
6. You can use your engraver to add decorative details like patterns, designs, and borders on your stainless steel tumbler mugs. Get creative and have fun with it!
7. Customize the color of the cups with your engraver. You can find special engraving-friendly paint pens online or at your local craft store and use them to add any color or design you want directly onto the cup.
8. Add some flair to the bottom of the cup with your engraver. This is a great spot for fun designs, messages, or even just your initials!
9. Create a unique pattern all over the cup using your engraver. This could be anything from a floral design to a geometric pattern.
10. Make a stencil with your engraver and use it to paint or add vinyl to the cup. This is a great way to add complex designs or logos to your tumbler cups!
What do you need to engrave tumblers?
As your starting point, you’ll need some supplies for tumbler engraving:
- A laser engraver – ideally with a rotary attachment (see below for some recommendations)
- Stainless Steel Tumblers:
- A designated work area
Once you have your supplies, you’re ready to get started. Here are a few simple steps on how to use your laser engraver to create good results for your custom tumblers:
- Create your design in your program of choice (here are some of our favorites)
- Next, you will need to spray your stainless steel tumbler with a coating of Cermark. This is really important for when you are engraving on stainless steel. Let it dry for five minutes or so.
- Follow the instructions for your rotary attachment for your engraver and place your tumbler directly inside.
- Engrave your design onto the tumbler. Follow the instructions that came with your laser engraver to engrave your design onto the tumbler and to find the right power settings – online forums can be very helpful for this!
- Remove the tumbler from the rotary attachment. Rinse away the Cermark and enjoy your beautifully engraved tumbler!
Laser Engravers with Rotary Attachments
As mentioned earlier, if you want to engrave directly onto a stainless steel tumbler, you will need a laser cutter that has a rotary tumbler. While we haven’t tried any of these, here are a few you can consider:
Can you engrave tumblers with Glowforge?
While we love our Glowforge, you really can’t engrave directly onto a tumbler because they are too tall. However, if you can find some tumblers with silicone sleeves, you can create a jig for the sleeve and engrave the sleeve to put over the stainless steel tumbler. Here’s a great tutorial!
Can you laser engrave a sublimation tumbler?
Sublimation on tumblers is ALL. THE. RAGE. right now, so it’s reasonable to want to have the best of both words and laser engrave onto a tumbler that has sublimation. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like there is a hard and fast rule, and it really depends on the materials. You can read more on this topic in this forum.
Best Tumblers for Laser Engraving
You can really use any tumbler that you want for laser engraving – just make sure it’s stainless steel. Here are a few of our favorite brands:
Laser engravers are a great way to customize tumblers and make them your own. With so many possibilities, the sky’s the limit when it comes to design. So grab your supplies and get creative!
More Articles You May Enjoy:
- 5 Ways to Make Money With a Laser Engraver
- Best Types of Wood for Laser Engraving
- Laser Engraving vs. Laser Etching: A Complete Guide