- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups whole wheat flour
- Combine water, yeast and sugar in a bowl and mix until yeast and sugar is dissolved. Let sit 5-10 minutes.
- Mix in the salt, honey, and olive oil.
- Slowly add the flour 1/2 cup at a time. Add flour until it bounces back when you press into it, and it's slightly sticky.
- Knead for about five minutes into a ball - adding flour to your hands to keep it from sticking.
- Place in a greased bowl and let rise until doubled in a warm area. Cover with a paper towel or dish towel.
- Once doubled in size, you can divide the dough in half and make two crusts (or make a super thick crust).
- Brush the crust with olive oil. We always like to put a mixture of parmesan cheese, basil, and garlic on the crust as well, so you can consider doing that as well!
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Sprinkle cornmeal onto a baking sheet or pizza stone.
- Spread out pizza dough and let rise about 20 minutes.
- Prebake pizza for about 10 minutes. Add toppings and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
Until I came up with this recipe, I didn’t think a delicious whole wheat pizza crust existed. Most that I had tried in the past were dense and flavorless, and they made me want to go and order a pizza with soft, chewy, white-flour crust.
Well, my friends…this recipe is a winner. While you have to let go of the expectation of 100% whole pizza crust tasting like it’s white flour counterpart…it’s pretty darn good. We made ours pretty thick, but this recipe could easily make two crusts instead of one. The thing that surprised me the most was how soft it was.
We love making pizza around here, as you probably know if you are a long-time reader. It’s one of those things that we enjoy doing together as a family. Pizza night isn’t hard to do, but it can create some fun, lasting memories, and the sky is really the limit when it comes to what toppings you put on your pizza.
In our family, we eat together every night. This is something that was ingrained in my as a child and growing up, and I think it is so important to make an effort to sit down to dinner with your family. So when Vanity Fair Napkins asked me to help promote the “Take Back the Table” campaign, I jumped on board right away. It’s basically about encouraging families to eat dinner together and get excited about their meals together! I love the initiative because it’s something I truly believe is important.
I know it can be difficult to sit down together for dinner – especially if you have teenagers who would much rather be doing something else (unless they are like I was and preferred spending time with family over friends!) It’s important to know that dinner doesn’t have to be a huge thing every night – there are so many simple recipes out there – we have tons here on Clarks Condensed – and it doesn’t have to take long.
Whenever I talk to people who grew up with a regular pizza night, it’s almost always one of their favorite memories. I don’t know what it is about pizza that brings people together, but it really does. I think it’s a great way to take back the table and bring your family together for dinner.
I think things that make having dinner together as a family easier include meal planning, making sure the meals are simple and include ideas that everyone can enjoy, and just having a set time for it every night. When I was growing up, everyone knew they were expected to be at dinner. It was just what we did. I hope that I can instill that in Jack’s mind too – he loves family dinner now, and I hope he will continue to!
I took the pledge to #takebackthetable to show how important it is to spend more time with family at meal time.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Vanity Fair® Napkins. The opinions and text are all mine.
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com