Looking for a healthy and delicious snack? This whole wheat clean pita bread, paired with roasted red pepper hummus, is a winning combination.
So, as much as I wish I was, I’ll never be one of those bloggers that posts “whole” or “clean” recipes all the time. Don’t get me wrong, I try and feed our family healthy food, but I’m not perfect. Sometimes we have chicken fries for lunch four days in a row, and we love ice cream, and, of course, pizza casserole.
However, we have been trying to be healthier, and with that, I’ve been using more whole grains, and adopting some “clean” principles into some of our recipes. Rome wasn’t built in a day, right? So, when my friend, Amber, from Rick*a*bam*boo asked if I wanted to help her head up a clean eating challenge, I agreed right away.
We decided that, for a month, we would post a clean recipe, and encourage other bloggers to as well. There aren’t any hard and fast rules — just whatever clean eating means to that person. To me, it’s avoiding refined sugars or any food that is very processed. Each week, I’ll post links from several other bloggers participating!
For this first week, I decided to share a clean pita bread recipe and roasted red pepper hummus. We love hummus at our house, especially Sabra’s Roasted Red Pepper hummus. It’s so delicious! And what’s better for dipping in hummus than fresh pita bread?! I recently went to a little cafe near our home and had the best hummus and pita bread ever, and I think this rivals it.
Both of these recipes are pretty easy, but yield tasty results. I found that with the hummus, it was a little gritty at first, but if you peel your chick peas, that can remove that grittiness (water can also help.) The wheat pita bread is a little bit heavier than your typical pita bread, but it’s really good nonetheless.
I’ve also decided that hummus is one of those things that you either love, or hate. We made this for our family last weekend, and most members of my family fall into the “dislike” camp. We didn’t mind too much…more for us!
I will say, we had a hard time finding tahini! We went to Walmart, and couldn’t find it anywhere. We luckily found some at Whole Food’s (which was right by Walmart), and we purchased the Kevala Organic Tahini. It was kind of like natural peanut butter — all the oil was at the top — but it seemed high quality!
Rosemary Pita Bread with Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped
- Pour water in bowl and sprinkle with yeast.
- Let sit 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in honey and oil.
- Add flour and salt.
- Mix with dough hook for 10 minutes on low, or mix dough together with a wooden spoon into a ball, and then knead for 10 minutes.
- Form ball and place in a large, greased bowl.
- Cover and let rise until doubled (about an hour)
- Punch dough down and divide into 8 pieces.
- Roll into balls, place on a clean surface, cover, and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out each ball to be about 1/4" thick. Place on a greased surface (or for best results, on a cooking stone.)
- Brush with olive oil.
- Bake for about 8 minutes each.
Garlic Greens from Rick•a•bam•boo
Rosemary Pita Bread with Roasted Red Pepper Hummus from Clarks Condensed
Roasted Sweet Pepper Dip from Keep it Simple, Sweetie
Clean Cobb Salad from Cooking with Curls
Blueberry Almond Chia Seed Pudding from Delightful E Made
Easy Spinach & Egg White Omelette from Yummy Healthy Easy
Fire Ants on a Log Recipe from Project Domestication
Taco Stuffed Avocado with Avocado Salsa from YoursAnd Mine Are Ours
Paleo Biscuits Recipe from My Natural Family
Grilled Zucchini from Bite of Delight
Orange Chicken with Chickpeas Stirfry from My Daylights
Tropical Smoothie Bowl – Je suis alimentageuse
Greek Salad~ Tips From a Typical Mom
Stir Fry Tofu and Vegetables in Chile Sauce from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Lazy Summer Salsa Recipe from Everyday Southwest
Green Clean Popsicles by Life as Mrs. Larson
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com