I Hello! Thank you SO much for being a part of the Curly Girl for Wavies (Type 2A – 2C) Facebook Group. The members are what make this group great, and we appreciate the time you are taking to read this information.
My name is Katie, and I am the creator of this group – but there’s no way this group would be where it is without our fantastic moderator team.
Because of the massive size of this group and how fast it is growing, we get hundreds of posts a day. Not all of these posts will be approved, and it may be because one of the questions below is answered.
We ask you to read through this page in its entirety. If you still have something that you’d like answered, please repost again with a specific question in mind.
We want everyone to get their questions answered in a timely fashion, and we hope that this will help us be more efficient in getting everyone helped.
Table of contents
A few notes
This group is run and managed by my business. Because of this, we may occasionally share relevant blog posts (which contain display advertisement) and affiliate links for helpful products that we earn a small commission from. This helps offset the cost of running this group.
This group is volunteer run. The moderators lives do not revolve around it. You may not always agree with the rules or how the group is run. This does not mean you should send angry messages. These will not be responded to. If you disagree with a decision, please just leave.
This is a group about. Any and all off topic questions will be deleted, no questions asked.
Before Posting a Question…
Use the Search Bar
Many common questions can be answered by simply using the search bar. Try and use generic language when searching – so instead of searching “what type of hair do I have?” search “curl type” or if you have a question about porosity, simply search porosity.
If you are on a mobile device, here is how to search:
If you are on a desktop computer, here is how to search:
Is it a Selfie?
We ask for selfies, showing off new hair styles or successes, or asking for encouragement to be added to the “Selfies and Encouragement” album. Here is how to access that (and all the other albums listed below).
Browse the Albums
Merry has put a lot of time into creating some wonderful and helpful albums for group members. These are not albums to add to unless you are a moderator. However, there are many albums with a lot of awesome information.
Here are the albums we currently have:
- Curly Cuts
- Daily Shampoo/Low Poo
- Shampoos for hard water
- Coconut-Free Products
- CG Heat Protectants
- Shampoo and Conditioner Bars
- CG Hair Dyes
- Tools and Techniques
- Protein Treatments
- Clarifying Shampoos
- Hair Spray
- Dry Shampoos
- CG Curl Activators
- CG Gels
- CG mousse
- Glycerin Free Products
- Deep Conditioners
- Leave-in Conditioners
- Shampoos and Cleansers
Is it Curly Girl Friendly?
This group is not as strict as some. We don’t require strict adherance to the Curly Girl Method.
With that said, we support the method, and if you choose to post something that is not Curly Girl Approved, you must disclose this before posting. Please do not post rants about how much you hate the Curly Girl method – frustrations are fine, but we try to keep it positive.
Post Approval Guidelines
Please keep the following in mind as you compose posts:
- 30 second videos or less
- Must include a question, concern or tip; no posts that are just selfies
- Encouragement posts are allowed
- Photos can have cleavage as long as it’s not the main purpose of the photo (so if someone is merely wearing a tank top, that’s okay. If they are pushing their breasts up and there is more breast than hair in the picture, not so much)
- Repeat questions are allowed
- Product Recommendation Posts are allowed
- Must be on the topic of hair
- Cannot include any topic of political or social agenda with the post
- No vulgar language
- Feedback posts are allowed
FINAL DISCRETION FOR APPROVAL OF POSTS IS UP TO THE ADMIN AND MODERATOR – THESE ARE NOT UP FOR DISCUSSION, AND ANY ARGUING IS IMMEDIATE GROUNDS FOR REMOVAL.
Getting Started with Curly Girl Method – FAQs
What is my hair type?
You can take this hair texture quiz from NaturallyCurly.com. While it is not 100% accurate, it should help you get started.
What is my hair porosity?
This is a great article that talks all about porosity, what it is, and how to determine your hair’s porosity.
Here is a hair porosity quiz from Curlsbot.
Is x product Curly Girl approved?
It’s overwhelming trying to figure out all the ingredients, isn’t it?!
My go to resource is Curlsbot, where you can copy and paste the ingredients into their program, and it will tell you if the ingredients are compatible with the Curly Girl method.
Keep in mind that it’s not 100% foolproof, so you are always encouraged to double check ingredients if you are worried.
Looking for a tool, technique, or abbreviation?
Check out the Tools and Techniques album!
What should I do to help my hair?
This is a very individualized question, and it often comes with a lot of trial and error. Some of the quizzes above can get you pointed in the right direction.
By searching for certain terms in the facebook group, you’ll be able to find other people with the same hair who have shared their routines.
If you are really wanting to dive deep into your hair and learn about what it needs on a microscopic level, I recommend getting a microscopic hair analysis from My Mane Bio. Their analysts analyze your hair and give you lots of insight into your hair type, what it needs, etc. The total hair care analysis will even give you specific recommendations for products. The foundations analysis is $49, and the total hair care analysis is $89. Here is a little bit about my experience with my analysis.
Curly Girl for Wavies Quick Reference Guide ($2.99)
Curly Girl Handbook
Curls with Confidence – Very affordable course for helping you master your curls!
Articles I have Written:
- Curly Girl for Wavies on a Budget
- My Deva Cut Experience
- Is Hairitage Curly Girl approved?
- How I discovered my Waves
- This group is an official group of Clarks Condensed. Content is sometimes shared that leads back to my website, which do have ads. I also may share affiliate links, which I get a small commission for.
- Only Curly Girl/Wavy discussions allowed. Anything even remotely off topic will be removed and deleted.
- This is a family friendly group. If you wouldn’t want your boss, your grandma, or your preacher seeing it, then don’t post.
- Keep videos under 30 seconds
- No self promotion or sales unless discussed with the admin
- No profanity, including memes and acronyms (like wtf)
- No drama, pettiness or unkindness
- Zero Tolerance – if people break the rules (including swearing) they are deleted without question
- Non-CGM – We do allow discussions on these. People just need to say beforehand if a product is not CGM recommended.
- No blocking of admins or moderators
- If you are upset that someone deleted your post or comment, just leave. The admin page is for genuine questions, not complaints, and they will not be responded to.
- No photos of children in any state of undress
- No recommendations for children UNLESS they are products specifically made for children(liability for children is huge. Acv rinse on a child’s head gets in their eyes etc etc, adults only.
- No arguing with admin. All inquiries must be respectful.
- We reserve the right to remove photos.
- If a photo has been removed, do not add it back.
- No opinion questions such as how would I look in this hair cut. (There was about 10 of those a week)
- No politics or anything that can be construed as political.
- Please check albums,files and announcements first before posting a question.
This group is a family-friendly group, and we aim to make it G and PG. Please do not post any inappropriate content.
Research Before Posting
Please use the search bar before you ask a question and go to NaturallyCurly.com for basic research. If you still have a question, please post again with a specific question.
No Sales or MLMs
You may not sell anything in this group or share any affiliate or referral links. No promotion of an MLM you are involved in – questions are okay but not an opportunity to sell.
Be Kind and Courteous
We’re all in this together to create a welcoming environment. Let’s treat everyone with respect. If you disagree, do so kindly. Zero tolerance for being rude.
No Promotions or Spam
Give more than you take to this group. Self-promotion, spam and irrelevant links aren’t allowed. Please do not promote your business or website.
No Hate Speech or Bullying
Make sure everyone feels safe. Bullying of any kind isn’t allowed, and degrading comments about things like race, religion, culture, sexual orientation, gender or identity will not be tolerated.
No Off Topic Posts
Please do not share off topic posts or pictures. Do not post giveaways, irrelevant Facebook lives, etc.
This is a Learning Group
Everyone is learning and at a different stage in their hair journey. We aren’t the strictest CGM group – and that’s okay! Please state if something is not CGM approved. Be respectful of other’s journies.
Please keep your language clean and civilized. Profanity will be removed.
Please post selfies and pictures of your hair with no question or concern to the “Selfies Album”.
This is a group about hair, not politics or social topics. We do not allow for political or social discussions UNLESS it directly relates to hair, and it can be discussed like mature adults. There are plenty of other topics where you can discuss current events in the world.
Curly Girl for Wavies Team
If you have a question or concern, please contact our admin team Facebook page via messenger here. Do not contact a personal account of an admin or moderator!
Administrator: Katie Clark (owner of Clarks Condensed)