The other day, we were at the store, and I spotted some pumpkin spice bagels. We didn’t have any extra money at the time, so I didn’t buy any, but I could not got the thought of it out of my mind. I just kept imagining how delicious a warm bagel, flavored with pumpkin and other fall spices would be. Especially if it was topped with warm, cinnamon butter.
Because I couldn’t stop thinking about it, I figured I should just make some, and see if it was as good as I was imagining. I figured I could take my homemade bagel recipe and make a few adjustments, and soon have my very own pumpkin spice bagels.
After a little bit of trial and error, I was able to create these:
And when I slathered them with this homemade cinnamon and brown sugar butter . . .
It was absolutely delightful!
They turned out exactly how I expected, and tasted even better the next day. The cinnamon and brown sugar butter was a little bit different than some sweet butters I’ve had in the past, but it was yummy. Forrest and I couldn’t get enough of it (and Jack…who kept trying to sneak tastes of it)
Even though it feels like winter here in Utah, it definitely smells like fall in our apartment!
- 2 teaspoons of active dry yeast
- 1 ½ tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup pumpkin
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 1/2 cups wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- up to 1 1/4 cup warm water
Cinnamon-Brown Sugar Butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a small bowl, place 1/2 cup warm water, sugar, and yeast. Whisk together, and let sit five minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together the flours, salt, and spices.
- After the yeast mixture has sat for five minutes, whisk in the pumpkin. Create a well in the middle of the flour, and pour in the yeast mixture. Pour half of the remaining water into the well and mix together. Pour in remaining water, 1/4 cup at a time, until it is a firm, moist dough (you may not need all the water, depending on where you live.)
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes on a floured surface. Use additional flour as needed.
- Lightly coat a bowl with oil and place dough ball into it. Cover with a damp dish cloth and let it rise for about an hour in a warm place, until doubled in size. After the hour, punch down, cover again, and let rise about another 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into about 8 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a dough round (http://allrecipes.com/howto/forming-dough-rounds/ is a great site for instructions on making the perfect dough round.)
- Gently poke a hole through the center of each dough round with your finger, expanding the hole to be about 1/3 the size of the entire round. Place on an oiled cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough rounds.
- Cover the dough rounds with a damp kitchen cloth and let rest ten minutes.
- In the mean time, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Lower bagels into pot of honey water using a slotted spoon. Let them boil on each side for about 45 seconds. After boiling, remove with a slotted spoon, shake a little to remove excess water, and place back on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, and cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Cinnamon-Brown Sugar Butter
- Place softened butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl, and whip with an electric mixture until light and creamy. Refrigerate overnight, and heat slightly if you want to serve it warm.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 2464 Total Fat: 69g Saturated Fat: 36g Cholesterol: 169mg Sodium: 2806mg Carbohydrates: 410g Sugar: 71g Protein: 61g
Love this recipe? Check out these other delicious bread recipes (click to view):
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com