This classic potato chip casserole with chicken will please all ages – and it’s so easy to make. It’s a comfort dish in every definition of the word. Just like Grandma made it.
Potato Chip Casserole with Chicken
Thank you to Boulder Canyon Foods for partnering with us to share this recipe.
Recently my little grandsons Jack and Oliver came for dinner. Did we have potato chips for dinner, you ask? Well, yes, sort of.
That is, potato chips were the star of my Hot Chicken Salad with Potato Chip Topping–A Halfway Homemade Classic Comfort Food.
I have been making this dish for literally decades–a recipe given to me by my mother’s friend Dorene Tolman years ago when we both lived in the northern Idaho community of Lewiston.
I have made it many times for friends who have had babies, or surgeries, or other troubles, as well as for my own family’s dinner. And seriously, everyone loves it!
Full of chicken and cheese, and topped with crunchy, salty potato chips what’s not to love????
I did make one change for our dinner, though. I used Boulder Canyon Potato Chips for the first time.
This is a delicious potato chip with a hearty crunch that was perfect for the topping.
Although #BoulderCanyon is sponsoring this post, the idea to use it in my casserole was my own and worked perfectly.
Boulder Canyon produces more than 30 snacks, but they are most known for their many different flavors of better-for-you potato chips.
Most are made with only three or four ingredients, including potatoes, sea salt, and unique oils such as sunflower, avocado, olive, rice bran, or coconut.
For my potato chip topping, I chose a simple Sea Salt flavor which was perfect for this casserole.
And for snacking!
Boulder Canyon chips are produced in Boulder, Colorado, and are undergoing a logo and packaging change in mid-January. You can look for them and their new look at such local retailers as Target, Walmart, Whole Foods or Sam’s Club, as well as on Amazon and other online markets.
Chicken Potato Chip Casserole
printable version below
Hot Chicken Salad with Potato Chip Topping
3 C diced, cooked chicken (I use one 16 oz bag of Grilled Chicken Breast Strips from Costco)
1 1/2 C diced celery (Feel free to use more or less, depending on how much you love celery)
1/2 C chopped almonds (I use lightly salted cashew halves and pieces instead)
1 T minced onion (I use one bunch diced green onions)
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp pepper (We like pepper so I use more)
1 C real mayo
1 1/2 C grated cheddar or cheddar/jack cheese
1 1/2 C crushed potato chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine first six ingredients in a mixing bowl:
Add the mayo and place in baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and crushed chips.
Bake uncovered in oven for 25 minutes or until hot in the middle and slightly bubbly.
The secret to making this casserole so delicious is to tweak it so it includes more or less of the above ingredients, based on your personal tastes. I honestly don’t measure any of the ingredients, except for the mayo. To make it large enough for the six of us, I made it about 1 1/2 times bigger than usual.
A secret I recently learned that makes this Halfway Homemade meal even quicker, is to use my food chopper to crush the potato chips. You’ll have as many as you need in less than a minute.
Whether you prepare this meal for your family, or to give away, I hope you will love it as much as we do!
Potato Chip Casserole with Chicken
- 3 C diced cooked chicken (I use one 16 oz bag of Grilled Chicken Breast Strips from Costco)
- 1 1/2 C diced celery Feel free to use more or less, depending on how much you love celery
- 1/2 C chopped almonds I use lightly salted cashew halves and pieces instead
- 1 T minced onion I use one bunch diced green onions
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp pepper We like pepper so I use more
- 1 C real mayo
- 1 1/2 C grated cheddar or cheddar/jack cheese
- 1 1/2 C crushed potato chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine first six ingredients in a mixing bowl:
- Add the mayo and place in baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and crushed chips.
- Bake uncovered in oven for 25 minutes or until hot in the middle and slightly bubbly.
- The secret to making this casserole so delicious is to tweak it so it includes more or less of the above ingredients, based on your personal tastes. I honestly don't measure any of the ingredients, except for the mayo. To make it large enough for the six of us, I made it about 1 1/2 times bigger than usual.
- A secret I recently learned that makes this Halfway Homemade meal even quicker, is to use my food chopper to crush the potato chips. You'll have as many as you need in less than a minute.
- Shouldn’t this use tuna fish? While yes, there is a popular potato chip casserole with tuna fish, no one in our family likes tuna fish, so chicken it is! You can definitely substitute tuna fish if you’d rather.
- Do you have to use potato chips? Well, it’s called potato chip casserole for a reason 😉 But you can definitely try and experiment with different flavors or types of chips.
- Do I have to use celery? You don’t have to do anything! Feel free to omit if you don’t like it.
- How can you reduce the fat? You could use a lower fat mayonnaise or cheese.
- Can you freeze this casserole? No! Do not freeze it. The mayo will separate and ruin the flavors.
Other Casseroles You May Enjoy:
Other Recipes You May Enjoy:
- Two Secrets for The Best Rice Krispies Ever
- The World’s Best Peppermint Fudge Recipe
- Easy and Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com