This amazing dutch oven chocolate recipe is moist, decadent, and every bite is oozing with flavor. It’s the BEST dutch oven recipe to have in your repertoire.
Thank you again to HomeRight for partnering with us for our summer dutch oven cooking series. Be sure to check out the ElectroLight Fire Starter – which makes making these recipes SO much easier!
If there’s one thing you’ll learn from this dutch oven series, it’s that anything you can make in the oven you can make in the dutch oven.
You guys, I’m seriously addicted to dutch oven cooking. It is the BEST. It takes the heat of cooking outside (though we have A/C now, which makes life a little more bearable.) And it’s just so much fun.
I think my dad was pretty excited when I told him how much I enjoyed dutch oven cooking. It’s definitely something he loves as well, so I hope that we can do some of it together in the future. We were talking about how we need to plan a little campout this summer, so I hope that pans out.
Speaking of camping, I love the mountains. If it was cheaper and closer to family, I would move to the Colorado mountains in a heartbeat. I used to go up to Winter Park, Colorado, with my dad during spring break while he did taxes, and I just loved spending several days up there. We had the opportunity to review some resorts in Breckenridge and Vail last year, and it was just heaven. It’s especially great during the summer (the weather is much cooler.)
Anyways, that’s beside the point. I just really enjoy doing things in the great outdoors – so long as the sun isn’t too strong 😉
Now that I’ve rambled enough, I’ll tell you a little bit about this recipe. It’s my Grandma’s famous chocolate cake recipe, just adapted for the dutch oven. I made it for a family party last week, and it turned out better than I anticipated. I would definitely say it still qualifies as the best chocolate cake recipe ever.
For simplicities sake, I decided to forego the traditional cream cheese frosting that the other cake boasts. If you are making this out on a campout, you probably won’t be carrying around much cream cheese. But let me just say – it doesn’t even need it. It’s so decadent and rich – you almost don’t want to add anything to take away from that!
It’s really easy to make as well. You will need a couple of bowls (though, you could get away with just one) and a way to boil water. If you have some cooking gear, this shouldn’t be too difficult!
As usual, I highly recommend using the HomeRight Electrolight fire starter to get your charcoal burning well. It starts charcoal quickly and requires the use of NO chemicals. We’ve been loving it this summer for all of our backyard outdoor cooking. The best price I’ve seen for it is on Amazon (and it looks like there are less than seven available right now!) – and it’s well-worth the cost. HomeRight only puts out the highest quality of products, and this is one of my favorite tools we own.
This is a great recipe to have to end your day – though, it isn’t the healthiest recipe out there. I promise it’s worth every last calorie. Yum!
Dutch Oven Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- Cooking spray
- 26 pieces charcoal briquettes
- Light charcoal.
- Whisk together oil, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda until well-combined.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into wet ingredients, and mix until everything is smooth, and no chunks exist.
- Bring water to a boil.
- After the wet and dry ingredients are combined, add in the cup of boiling water. Mix well. Batter will be slightly runny.
- Put ten briquettes in your pit. Place dutch oven on the top.
- Spray cooking spray liberally on the inside of the dutch oven.
- Pour cake batter into the dutch oven.
- Cover with lid and place 16 lit briquettes on top.
- Cook 45-50 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean
Check out these other amazing dutch oven recipes (click photo for recipe):
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com