This is one of my new favorite recipes.
The other night, I couldn’t decide what to make for dinner, and Forrest suggested BBQ chicken.
To be honest, I wasn’t totally thrilled about making it, but since it was easy, and we had all the ingredients, I figured it was a good idea. I also had some potatoes and onions that had to be used up, so I thought those would be a good addition to the meal.
I was about to start it in the oven when I decided I should see how it turned out in the Instant Pot.
The result? Truly one of my new favorite dishes. I put the chicken in completely frozen, and in about 25 minutes, we had perfectly juicy chicken with tender potatoes and onions.
It was so good that we made it again about a week later. I don’t know what it is about this dish, but I am in love! It’s a great beginner recipe for the Instant Pot, so I definitely recommend it.
I used Sticky Fingers Carolina Sweet BBQ sauce, but you can definitely use whatever kind you want. I thought this brand was delicious, though! Oh, and I HIGHLY recommend getting a pair of Bear Claw Meat Shredders. I got some at Christmas during a white elephant exchange, and I love using them.
- 2 pounds frozen chicken, if fresh, adjust cooking time
- 1 cup favorite BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2-3 large potatoes, chopped
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- Place all ingredients in Instant Pot.
- Put lid on and select poultry. Set for 15 minutes.If cooking fresh chicken, 12 minutes should be sufficient.
- Let natural pressure release for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and take chicken out - shred.
- Put chicken back in the pot and toss until chicken is covered in sauce.
If the sauce isn't thick enough once you are done cooking, remove the chicken to shred and then turn the IP to "saute". Cook for a little bit to help thicken.
If you are using fresh chicken, make SURE you cook it for less time. I would usually recommend around 12 minutes for 2-3 pounds, though this may vary. Frozen is good at 15.
All we ask is that you be kind. We welcome differing opinions, but any comments containing personal attacks, sarcasm, etc. will be removed immediately. Keyboard warriors aren’t welcome 🙂 All comments are moderated and may take time to be approved. Anything not pertaining specifically to the content of a post will be removed (including comments about ads).