These chocolate dreams can also be transformed into non dairy chocolate desserts so everyone can enjoy them. They’re amazing, creamy, and chocolate-y. What else could you want in a dessert?!
Combined, they are used in a traditionally rich, yummy, chocolatey, cream-cheese dessert that anyone who is lactose intolerant would not get to eat, and that just doesn’t seem right–especially at the holidays!
Non Dairy Chocolate Desserts
The traditional version has been a favorite dessert at our house for –well– decades! When I was given the challenge of making a regular dish into a similar dish that was dairy-free I wondered if transforming this dessert was possible.
Dairy Free Chocolate Dessert
And if it were possible, how would it taste?
The crust, as well as the other three layers, all include some form of dairy. I was able to find non-dairy brands of butter and cream cheese; use almond milk to make the pudding; and found an amazingly simple method of turning a can of coconut milk into whipped topping.
So I followed my usual recipe, substituting dairy products for the dairy-free versions; put the dessert into the fridge for several hours to chill; and then–with some hesitation–served it to my family.
They loved it! Honestly, no one could tell the difference between it and the traditional recipe! To be totally honest, the final layer of whipped topping was a little thinner than the real thing, but it tasted the same.
This dish is absolutely delicious, and I don’t think you’ll be reaching for IMODIUM A-D after having this for dessert. But, just in case everything at Thanksgiving isn’t tummy-friendly, make sure you check out Walmart for all your digestive aid needs.
Dairy Free Dessert Recipe
Here is the traditional recipe, with the substitutions in parenthesis. The recipe is easily doubled; just make it in a 9″ by 13″ pan.
Chocolate Dream Dessert Recipe with Dairy Free Options
- 1/4 C softened butter or margarine non-dairy butter like Earth Balance
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 C flour
- 4 oz. softened cream cheese non-dairy cream cheese like Tofutti
- 1/2 C powdered sugar if using non-dairy cream cheese, increase powdered sugar to 3/4 Cup
- 1 small package instant chocolate pudding JELL-O brand is dairy free
- 1 1/2 C milk almond milk
- 1/2 C pecan chips optional
- 2 eight-ounce containers whipped topping ***May use whipped toppings made from coconut milk instead. See recipe below. If you go this route, you may need sugar and vanilla
- Combine softened butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add flour and mix until spreadable.
- Spread into 8" by 8" greased pan. (If you don't grease the pan the crust will stick like crazy!) Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes until lightly browned.
- First Layer
- Mix softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, and whipped topping until creamy. Pour over cooled crust.
- Second Layer
- Combine pudding mix with milk. Beat for three minutes. Let sit five minutes. Pour over first layer.
- Third Layer
- Spread second container of whipped topping over second layer. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Chill and serve.
Whipped topping made with coconut milk [/br]
- Chill one 15-ounce can full-fat coconut milk in fridge for several hours, or overnight.
- Open can. There will be a firm, waxy layer on top.
- Scoop out this layer and put into mixing bowl.
- Stop when you reach the water at the bottom of the can; discard water.
- Turn mixer on high and beat three to five minutes, until the consistency of whipped cream with soft peaks.
- Mix in one to two tablespoon sugar and/or one teaspoon vanilla if you desire a less coconuty taste.
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com