Worried that your glass stove top is beyond cleaning repair? Think again! In this post, we share our tips for getting yours clean – even when it has burnt on residue – we also share what not to use!
Glass Stove Top Cleaner
Cleaning the stove and oven is probably one of my least favorite things.
Which is probably why I let ours get so nasty…I’m slightly embarrassed to even show you the before picture.
It actually got to the point where I wasn’t even sure if we’d be able to get off all the burnt on stuff. However, with a little bit of elbow grease and experimenting, we were able to turn our glass stove top from this:
My sister-in-law had asked on Facebook a few months ago about the best glass stove top cleaner, and I took note of some of the suggestions. We headed over to Home Depot, got a few different products (including some recommended by the people working there), and we got to work.
For our experiment, we used:
- Baking Soda and Vinegar
- Great Value Glass Cleaner
- Cerama Bryte
- Bar Keepers Friend MORE Spray and Foam Cleaner
- Weiman Glass Top Cleaner
The Cerama Bryte kit came with some non-abrasive scrubbers and a scraper, which proved to be helpful. We purchased a few more of the scrubbers to use during our experiment, as well as paper towels.
Here is the beginning state (brace yourself):
I know. It’s disgusting, and I’m embarrassed to even show that (though let it be known, it has never gotten close to being that bad again since we did this cleaning experiment!)
And now, on to our tests, and the way we think is the best to clean a glass top stove.
How to Clean Glass Stove Top
Glass Stove Top Cleaner Experiment
Baking Soda and Vinegar
This was just kind of a fail. I know that baking soda and vinegar are two “miracle” cleaners that people claim can do just about everything…but I really didn’t find it to be very successful in this case!
Great Value Glass Cleaner
Admittedly, I don’t think this is the highest quality of glass cleaner (I personally prefer Mrs. Meyer’s that I get from Grove Collaborative). However, it was all that I had in my closet, so I figured I would try.
Yep, didn’t do a thing. It might be good for just touch ups – but when your stove top is as gross as ours was, glass cleaner ain’t gonna cut it.
I had seen people talk about Bar Keepers Friend in the past – and while I think they have some great products, I didn’t feel like this particular cleaner had the power to do what we needed it to.
However, I wish I had picked up some of the Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser & Polish, which I think would have been a better fit for this experiment.
For these next two, we felt like they both initially did a good job on the test spots of at least making it feel cleaner, so we decided to divide the cook top in half and see how they compared.
Weiman versus Cerma Bryte Comparison
Obviously, there was still a bunch of gunk on it, but both of them did a really good job making the non-gunky parts look nice and clean.
I think either of those are excellent for every day cleaning, buffing it up, etc.
But now – for the million dollar question – how did we get the gunk up?
How to Clean Glass Top Stove – Burnt On
The scraper was sharp but gentle enough that it didn’t scratch our glass stove top. It was able to help us get all that nastiness off (and thankfully, it has not gotten that bad since because we have been A LOT better at cleaning it regularly!) Look how nice this looks! It did take about an hour – and after we got all the gunk off, we went back with the cleaner and buffed it up. But it worked really well:
Best Way to Clean a Glass Top Stove
So, as a recap – here is what I feel is the best way to clean a glass stove top:
- Get the Cerma Bryte Cook top cleaning set with the brush and blades
- Do a round of cleaning with the scrub brush with the cleaner to get off initial residue
- Use the razor blade scraper to get off anything that is set in or burnt on. Be very careful as you do this so you don’t scratch the top. I found that keeping it moist helped.
- After all the built up gunk is off, clean again with the cleaner according to instructions
I did have a reader contact me and say the Weiman Cooktop Cleaner Max is the BEST. I’m excited to try this product. It does look awesome. Let me know your tips!
Spring Cleaning Giveaway
Because I LOVE great cleaning tips, tutorials, and products, I’ve decided to host an amazing spring cleaning giveaway with some amazing bloggers and Bar Keepers Friend! There will be seven winners total. There will be 6 runner-up prizes and one grand prize winner! Read on to discover what you could win!
Spring Cleaning Giveaway!
Each of our 6 runnerup winners will receive the following:
- Speed Clean the Deep Clean: A Collection of Time-Saving Cleaning Tutorials and Tips for Busy Moms ($4.99)
- 1-Year Membership to The Organized Home: The Realistic Way to Manage a Home, Reduce Clutter and Clean Less ($49)
- Year-Round Cleaning List Binder
- The House Cleaning Planner ($2)
- Chore Charts for Kids
- Mom’s Life Binder ($17.99)
- Moms Planner ($4.99)
- Execu-Kid Life Planner ($8.99)
- Bar Keepers Friend Product ($3.50)
Details about each of these products are listed below!
Our Grand Prize winner will receive the following:
- ILIFE A4s Robot Vacuum Cleaner
- Bar Keepers Friend Gift Basket
- All of the Runnerup Prizes listed above
Enter in the Rafflecopter widget below!:
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Speed Clean the Deep Clean from What’s up Fagans? contains more than 50 easy to use cleaning tutorials and cleaning tips for every room in your house! This book saves you from constantly googling and experimenting as Katelyn has done that for you and shares what actually works!
The Organized Home from Pulling Curls helps moms make realistic goals to make an impact in their own home & make life more manageable.
The Year-Round Cleaning List Binder from Tips from a Typical Mom. Just Say No to Spring Cleaning and keep a continually clean and organized home all year round instead with these awesome binder printables from Tips From a Typical Mom. This binder has daily, bi-weekly, weekly, bi-monthly, monthly, bi-yearly and yearly tasks that you normally don’t think about when cleaning your home. Get the kids involved and have a healthy home too!
The House Cleaning Binder from Sunny Day Family includes:
- Monthly un-dated calendar
- Weekly cleaning schedule page
- Daily cleaning to do list
- Weekly laundry schedule with deep cleaning checklist
- Spring Cleaning checklist by room
- Decluttering checklist
- Cleaning task planner stickers
Chore Charts for Kids from Happy and Blessed Home are toddler-friendly daily routine chore charts as there are almost no words and easy graphics.
Mom’s Life Binder from Life of a Homeschool Mom is one amazing binder to help the busy mom organize her entire life! With over 75 printable forms/pages, you will finally be able to take control over your schedule, household, finances and personal life. If you are ready to say goodbye to the chaos that stems from being unorganized and unprepared then the Mom’s Life Binder is for you!
Wunder-Mom Master Planner from Wunder-Mom is a printable calendar and planner just for moms!
Inside you will find:
- Meal Planning Calendar
- Daily/Weekly To-Do Trackers
- Shopping List
- School Tracker
- Sports Schedule and Practice Tracker
- Cleaning Checklist
All you have to do is print out as many sheets as you need and pop them into a binder! So easy to stay on top of everything in your family and household.
Execu-Kid Life Planner from Wunder-Mom is a complete student planner for the school year to help kids organize their schoolwork, homework, responsibilities, and goals!
- Full 12 Month Calendar that can be ordered according to your school year.
- Reading Log
- Homework Checklist
- Chore Checklist
- Spelling & Vocabulary Recording Sheets
- Mind Map Graphic Organizer
- Goal Planning Worksheet
- BONUS: Printable routine cards with daily routines and editable extras to add in your own cards. Made to be printed, laminated, and added to a single binder ring – just flip through them to make sure you haven’t forgotten anything on your way out the door!
Bar Keepers Friend Products are made in Indianapolis, IN and have been around since 1882! It uses the power of oxalic acid to clean all sorts of objects around your home. You can use it on stainless steel, copper, brass, glass, fiberglass, ceramic, tile, grout, chrome, formica, porcelain, corian, and more! It’s one of my favorite cleaning products as it’s so versatile and works so well.
Enter in the Rafflecopter widget below!:
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com