A delicous mint chocolate truffle cookies with a gooey, sweet filling. Perfect for the holidays!
Welcome to Day Three of Clarks Condendensed’s Homemade Christmas Series! Be sure to check out all the posts so far.
Mint Chocolate Truffle Cookies
- For the truffles:
- 1 1/3 cups or 1/2 lb chopped dark chocolate you can use milk if you prefer
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2-3 tsp mint extract depending on your tastes -- you can also omit
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- For the cookies:
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour I'm running out of whole wheat flour, so I used only 1/2 cup whole wheat and the rest all-purpose
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar optional
- In a medium pan, heat the cream over medium heat until it just comes to a simmer. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate, whisking until smooth. (I like to do this in the hot pan, because I find otherwise the cream cools too much. If you need to place the pan back on the hot element to finish melting the chocolate, do so)
- Stir in the mint extract if using. Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Cookie dough:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and beat until creamy, a good 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla, and beat until combined.
- Add flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda and mix until combined.
- Refrigerate at least 1-2 hours.
- Scoop out 1 tsp of truffle mixture, rolling in cocoa to help create a smooth ball, about 1/2" thick. Continue until truffles are done and place on a plate in the fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Scoop your cookie dough as you would normally. Press your thumb into the middle to create a place for your truffle. Place a truffle in the middle and wrap the cookie dough completely around the truffle - you don't want it to leak out! Continue until all truffles are used*. Roll cookie balls in powdered sugar, if using.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheets and bake at 350 degrees F for 8-9 minutes, until just set. (Baking time will depend on the size of your cookie -- mine were baked 9 minutes)
Hey everyone! It’s Ashley from The Recipe Rebel bringing you some Christmas baking today, and I couldn’t be happier about it. The months leading up to Christmas are some of my favorite all year, even if the weather is somewhat unpleasant. I love everything about the Christmas season: the lights, the snow (just not the cold!), the crackling fires I hope to have in our fireplace this winter, Christmas baking, family and friends.
And everyone loves food with a filling, right?
Think Boston Cream doughnuts. (Yes, doughnuts. I refuse to jump on the donut train. It’s also cheque, and not check.)
Filling just makes things better.
So instead of the odd chocolate chip here and there, I stuffed this cookies with a mint chocolate truffle. You could always leave out the mint extract if you want, but I love mint and chocolate together.
I originally made this recipe for a Christmas in July cookie contest. I was trying to think up some different Christmas flavours that I could use to make into a unique cookie. When I asked my readers, the majority of them agreed:
Chocolate and mint.
I mean, I want chocolate all the time. So making another chocolate cookie was a no-brainer. And mint is only one flavour that’s improved with a good dose of chocolate!
I have to admit, I’m all about getting an early start on Christmas baking. See some of my other favorite Christmas baking below!
You might also like these No-Bake Fudgy Mint Chocolate Cookies!
Or try these easy make-ahead Cinnamon Roll Bites for breakfast Christmas morning!
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com