- About 15 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 20 pepperonis, feel free to omit if you don't want them!
- About 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Slice squash and zucchini into about 1/2 inch slices.
- Pour spaghetti sauce into the bottom of a pie pan or 8x8 glass dish.
- Arrange squash, zucchini, and pepperonis overlapping each other, starting at the edge of the dish and making your way to the center.
- Top with grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes (check starting at 30 minutes to make sure it doesn't start to burn)
I love anything with a sauce. If we have something to eat that doesn’t have a sauce, I usually end up using BBQ sauce, or Ketchup, or salsa on it. Don’t ask me why – I just like the add flavor and texture sauces add.
Of course, because I love sauces so much, Italian-type foods are always my favorite. Red sauces, cream sauces…I love them all! Sure, they aren’t the best things to eat when you have acid reflux like I do…but I can’t resist them. Oh so yummy!
The other day, I was wanting to make a simple dinner – we had some squash and some pepperonis, as well as some parmesan cheese, and I thought that I could come up with something with all those ingredients. I had seen recipes before that had vegetables in a pan with parmesan cheese on top, so I decided to do something like that, but I added some pasta sauce, pepperonis, and parmesan cheese to make it a little heartier, and I made what turned into a crustless pizza! Apparently this kind of dish is called a Tian, so I guess this technically could be a pepperoni and squash tian recipe…but if you are trying to please a picky eater…just call it a crustless pizza!
This really is a better-for-you dish that can easily be served as a side dish (it would be great with chicken!) or a main dish (though you may want to do two layers for a main dish.)
Overall, we really enjoyed this dish. We ate it with some traditional hush puppies, and it was a perfect summer night meal! And if you don’t want pepperonis in it, feel free to omit them. It would be delicious with just the zucchini and yellow squash!